PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't immigrants Learn English?

snagga
21st February, 2010, 11:07 AM
Its a shame they all want to live and work here, but can't speak a word of english.

I know a few living here for over 15 years, and still can't speak english. Whats that all about?

:dontknow:

chalky 4
21st February, 2010, 11:21 AM
I agree. But even worse when I go to France they insist on speaking french! ! The ingrate FROGS ! ! :dontknow: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

snagga
21st February, 2010, 11:30 AM
I too went the France route, strickly no english.
Bonjour

daithi
21st February, 2010, 01:12 PM
I agree. But even worse when I go to France they insist on speaking french! ! The ingrate FROGS ! ! :dontknow: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

are ya for real your complaining there not speaking your language in your country
and then your complaining about having to speak there language in there country

daithi
21st February, 2010, 01:17 PM
Its a shame they all want to live and work here, but can't speak a word of english.

I know a few living here for over 15 years, and still can't speak english. Whats that all about?

:dontknow:

i wouldn't say they all don't speak English mate not in Ireland anyway, they all give it a good go

and what a stupid thread to start considering there's loads of different nationalities on here

snagga
21st February, 2010, 01:17 PM
are ya for real your complaining there not speaking your language in your country
and then your complaing about having to speak there language in there country

Je le prends vous ?tes fran?ais alors, bien que je suis d'accord avec vous.

SuperSat
21st February, 2010, 01:26 PM
Everybody who want to live and work abroad should at least make the effort to speak the language of the country and to integrate them self!

oldeno
21st February, 2010, 03:20 PM
Yes,I agree.At least learn to say some of these words :
Hello how do you do ?
Hey! what's up doc?
Yo! what's happening?
Hey lady! you look gorgeous!!
Ooo..what a handsome man....
It's cool, man.
Etc....
Then nobody's going to say you don't speak English..haha:stupido3::stupido3:

chalky 4
21st February, 2010, 03:27 PM
Ces paysans sans le sens de l'humour. Guillotine de Madame que votre temps approche. :devil:

snagga
21st February, 2010, 04:33 PM
i wouldn't say they all don't speak English mate not in Ireland anyway, they all give it a good go

and what a stupid thread to start considering there's loads of different nationalities on here

I am just telling it how I see it m8. if you can't handle the heat, then stay out of the kitchen.

When I go other countries on holiday, I do try to speak their language. But I think its a digrace to live and work in a foreign country, and after several years you still can't even say hello in thier langauge.

daithi
21st February, 2010, 09:26 PM
I am just telling it how I see it m8. if you can't handle the heat, then stay out of the kitchen.

When I go other countries on holiday, I do try to speak their language. But I think its a digrace to live and work in a foreign country, and after several years you still can't even say hello in thier langauge.

ya but your first post says they all dont

bazzw6
27th February, 2010, 10:18 PM
english folk are lazy with languages most other contries schools have another language as a compulsery lesson ie maths german and french lets say. we just have english maths.
and don't forget in the good old days when folk used to say "been to spain for my hols couldn't even get chips egg and bacon....i'm not eatin that spanish sh*t" lols

boomer39
27th February, 2010, 10:48 PM
english folk are lazy with languages most other contries schools have another language as a compulsery lesson ie maths german and french lets say. we just have english maths.
and don't forget in the good old days when folk used to say "been to spain for my hols couldn't even get chips egg and bacon....i'm not eatin that spanish sh*t" lols
dont know hold old you are, but i got taught french and latin at school . latin may be a "dead" language, but it helps a lot to understand "english"! pity more schools dont do latin now!!!!

SuperSat
27th February, 2010, 11:17 PM
I think everybody should learn a new language maybe not the old people but at least the new generation!
So far English is the international language but I don't think it will be for long!!!

maca
27th February, 2010, 11:23 PM
and why not the "the old people" ?.....

SuperSat
27th February, 2010, 11:25 PM
and why not the "the old people" ?.....

Do you think they care to learn another language?
and you how many languages do you speak?
how young are you?

maca
27th February, 2010, 11:28 PM
age has nothing to do with it if you want to learn something new...oh and im 45.

SuperSat
27th February, 2010, 11:29 PM
age has nothing to do with it if you want to learn something new...oh and im 45.

Can you speak more than one language?

maca
27th February, 2010, 11:31 PM
yes m8. scouse. and my second language is english lol

SuperSat
27th February, 2010, 11:35 PM
yes m8. scouse. and my second language is english lol

Well done mate!!!
Where are you from yourself then?
and do you think English should be the main language?
Why not your language then?

maca
27th February, 2010, 11:37 PM
lol do you really need to ask were im from ?

SuperSat
27th February, 2010, 11:46 PM
lol do you really need to ask were im from ?

Why not?
Are you ashamed about your root even if you are 45?

maca
27th February, 2010, 11:50 PM
ok sat m8 just for you im from anfield and proud. do you know where that is?

flyingpig
28th February, 2010, 12:07 AM
Off topic... Come on lads...

When I go away with my mates and family, say to Spaini, we dont sit there and speak Spanish.. Even if I lived there for 10 years, to my friends and family I would always seak my native tongue, ALWAYS. I would however, learn the local language.

The opening post is a generalisation and a wrong one at that... The people who live over the road from me are Sri-Lankan and they can speak great English.

When people make generalisations like that it shows a held belief and a level of unawareness and also an unwilligness to change, because the question you would always ask is "how do you know they (the group or individual) doesnt speak English... How? They just may not want to speak it to you.

SuperSat
28th February, 2010, 12:11 AM

When I go away with my mates and family, say to Spaini, we dont sit there and speak Spanish.. Even if I lived there for 10 years, to my friends and family I would always seak my native tongue, ALWAYS. I would however, learn the local language.

The opening post is a generalisation and a wrong one at that... The people who live over the road from me are Sri-Lankan and they can speak great English.

When people make generalisations like that it shows a held belief and a level of unawareness and also an unwilligness to change, because the question you would always ask is "how do you know they (the group or individual) doesnt speak English... How? They just may not want to speak it to you.

How would they if they cannot????

lfc4life
28th February, 2010, 12:11 AM

unwillingness too change wtf !!! it gets dishearting when you are in the canteen at work and you hear the polish workers all shouting over each other. Its a show of ignorance. Some of them can speak little english but they feel "comfortable " speaking there own language BUT can also swear english lol

flyingpig
28th February, 2010, 12:12 AM
Whats wrong with them speaking Polish to Poles??.. thats their language....

lfc4life
28th February, 2010, 12:16 AM
being ignorant is a two way thing...... People feel let down by governments past and present. Then there feel like every other ethinc minority is put before them or how they feel!!!

conservenergy
28th February, 2010, 12:17 AM
lol how true!!!

maca
28th February, 2010, 12:21 AM
lol how true!!!
great first post m8. time we all calmed down and relaxed and not take things to heart.

lfc4life
28th February, 2010, 12:23 AM
maca im not takin things too heart . im just saying how im feeling.... doesnt mean im going go out and cause a riot! see its like i a british born and bred man is not allowed too speak out ! because i get seen as a racist

SuperSat
28th February, 2010, 12:23 AM
Whats wrong with them speaking Polish to Poles??.. thats their language....

They have the right to speak their own language no matter where you are from but they need to show that they are willing to learn English for us to understand them and for them self to communicate with us and to make sure they know their rights in the EU!
If you cannot speak the language of the country(no matter where you are) other people will take advantage of you and you will be Screwed!!!!

lfc4life
28th February, 2010, 12:25 AM
They have the right to speak their own language no matter where you are from but they need to show that they are willing to learn English for us to understand them and for them self to communicate with us and to make sure they know their rights in the EU!
If you cannot speak the language of the country(no matter where you are) other people will take advantage of you and you will be Screwed!!!!

well like mentioned in past posts these people feed off the own group of comunities here. So thats how there survive .....

SuperSat
28th February, 2010, 12:28 AM
well like mentioned in past posts these people feed off the own group of comunities here. So thats how there survive .....

They should survive by integrating the English life and the language!!!
If you are willing you will!!!

lfc4life
28th February, 2010, 12:31 AM

my Point too - but its our culture as well tho ! its not all bad our culture but thats how its seen as.... i have a great laugh with almost my workmates and the migrants too. But this ignorance has gone on for longer then the current flock of migrants at least they want too work ;)

snagga
28th February, 2010, 12:32 AM

Exactly what I'm trying to say........

SuperSat
28th February, 2010, 12:34 AM
my Point too - but its our culture as well tho ! its not all bad our culture but thats how its seen as.... i have a great laugh with almost my workmates and the migrants too. But this ignorance has gone on for longer then the current flock of migrants at least they want too work ;)

Totally agree with you!!!

maca
28th February, 2010, 12:36 AM
ok so everyones happy now, so to speak lol

lfc4life
28th February, 2010, 12:37 AM
lol someone will come in and kick up a fuss tho lol

SuperSat
28th February, 2010, 12:39 AM
We wait and see I am ready!!!

firebladeaid
28th February, 2010, 12:40 AM
well its easier when you goto the social i think they give up with em

lfc4life
28th February, 2010, 12:42 AM
here we go...... im not rising too it . night maca and super sat ;)

SuperSat
28th February, 2010, 12:42 AM
well its easier when you goto the social i think they give up with em

What do you mean by they give up with them?

oldeno
28th February, 2010, 01:58 AM

I agree,I don't want to be taken advantage of and Screwed.
I am not sure this is the right word "Do as Romans do when you are in Roman". Collect me if i am wrong....

RedSpider
28th February, 2010, 03:17 AM
i used to work as a die-caster. every now and again the machines would pack up and the computers on them would need re-programming. they were polish machines and everything on the computer bar the main interface was in polish so we had to get a bloke over from poland to sort it out. he didnt speak a word of english but we still took him out on the town and had a right old laugh despite the language barrier.
pissed up blokes speak the same language whatever country they're from lol

bei0759
1st March, 2010, 06:30 AM
i agree. even you don't live and work here you still should be able to speak english