PDA

View Full Version : hdmi surround sound system

andy1weir
22nd February, 2010, 12:34 AM
ok looking for some help here guys,

got a new 42" tv but it doesnt have any audio out ports on it, so im looking for a surround sytem of some sort, but i would like it to have 3 hdmi in ports and 1 hdmi out port to tv. i would like to plug in my ps3/360/sky hd and have it outputted throught the surround system to the tv aswell as speakers so if anyone has any ideas please let me know thanks

xant14
22nd February, 2010, 01:14 AM
cheapest 3 hdmi in, 1 out is from Aldi, were a tenner, now ?7.99. if they have any left that is. with a remote control too!
On the amp side.. I am not sure what your asking. You already have a surround amp? Then plumb the digital sound in, by whichever means, hdmi, coaxial, or optical..

andy1weir
22nd February, 2010, 01:17 AM
cheapest 3 hdmi in, 1 out is from Aldi, were a tenner, now ?7.99. if they have any left that is. with a remote control too!
On the amp side.. I am not sure what your asking. You already have a surround amp? Then plumb the digital sound in, by whichever means, hdmi, coaxial, or optical..

atm i have a 2.1 speaker sytem which is ok but theres no way to connect it to my tv, i can plug it into the headphone socket but its bloody useless quite as hell, so im looking for something that outputs the video to the tv and sound through the surround sound

xant14
22nd February, 2010, 01:24 AM
ah ok.. so you aint got an amp then?
You need an amp... AV amp of some kind.. then plumb your sky/ps3/360 thro the amp..
On some tellys they have a digital out, so you could say go straight in with the hdmi, and then route the sound to the amp.
But most amps, your better routing it TO the amp first.
Am I on the right track here andy weir?

andy1weir
22nd February, 2010, 10:17 AM
yup you sure are but my tv doesnt have any ports to output sound through, which is kinda dissapointing so everything would have to go throo an amp first

andy1weir
22nd February, 2010, 04:43 PM
Is there no audio ouputs on the back of your sky box you can use?

JoK

yeah but i also want ps3 and 360 put through it aswell in hd

ssttaagg
24th February, 2010, 12:09 AM
how much do you want to spend

andy1weir
24th February, 2010, 12:18 AM
how much do you want to spend
not sure yet as little as possible, i think no more than 200 if possible

ssttaagg
24th February, 2010, 12:22 AM
you can pick a brill home theatre system up for around 250 like this.bass to blow you away

andy1weir
24th February, 2010, 12:25 AM
where would i get that?

ssttaagg
24th February, 2010, 12:29 AM
try pixmaina on the web. i run my wii through it and sound fantastic. it`s a sony HT-DDWG800

andy1weir
24th February, 2010, 12:35 AM
thanks v much ssttaagg could be the one:D
(http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/129529-ssttaagg/)

sirlisterofsmeg
26th February, 2010, 08:38 AM
Be careful though
Make sure you can also assign the Optical inputs to any video source.
SKY HD will only output 5.1 via the Optical and not through the HDMI which means you will need both cables going into the Amp.
PS3 XBOX 360 all output 7.1/5.1 via HDMI

craigyj
27th February, 2010, 06:29 PM
Certain receivers /manufacturers have overcome this problem with Sky-Yamaha is one-try the AV Forums for more info but remember buying separates has additional costs-interconnects,cable & fittings.I'm not aware of an all-in-one system that has had the upgrade to enable this capability but the info is out there.I'm a member of What? Hi-Fi and if you join (it's free) someone will be more than happy to help.
Best wishes,
Craig.

sirlisterofsmeg
27th February, 2010, 09:12 PM
What problem with SKY
SKY box's can only output 5.1 via optical
It doesn't matter what Amp you have
receivers/Amps are not able to receive 5.1 audio via HDMI as this is disabled by SKY

craigyj
28th February, 2010, 02:36 PM
Sky are aware of this problem and it will be done-if you buy a receiver with HDMI inputs which is capable of decoding HD Audio (HD DD,HD DTS etc) it will also have digital optical inputs so until Sky sort this out you will still be able to have 5.1 with the advantage of being future proof.As I have said this will mean added costs and it all depends on what money you have.First decide on your budget and don't stretch it;see what is available in your price range -some of the Sony all-in-one systems are good value but less and less of these systems come with digital optical -in which is a must for your requirements.Older versions are more likely to have this and E-Bay is a good place to search.

craigyj
28th February, 2010, 03:03 PM
Just been on Richer Sounds site and they have a Samsung 5.1 system with HDMI and digital optical in for ?170-last few but get the model no. and search on Google.This will sort out your immediate problem without costing the earth.Hope this helps.
Craig.

andy1weir
28th February, 2010, 05:57 PM
thanks craigyj will have a look cheers m8