PDA

View Full Version : ps3 question.....external hard drive

atlis
23rd February, 2010, 09:50 PM
hi all new to forum and very impressed with the kmowledge in here.i want to know if i purchased a ps3 would my seagate 500g be compatable with it? i have a load of media..avi,blu-ray rips etc.also is the ps3 like sky+ where you can watch ur tv and record and stuff? any recomendations on add ons id need thanks in advance

andy1weir
23rd February, 2010, 10:03 PM
hi m8 welcome to dk:ciao: the ps3 will recognise your media on your external provided it is formatted to fat32 and not ntfs, but it would have to be organised in to folder. as in MOVIES, MUSIC , PICTURES (must be in caps btw)

and for recording you would have to get play tv but it only records freeview channels

atlis
23rd February, 2010, 10:18 PM
thanks for reply. my external is 365g full and its ntfs! i wa gonna purchase a new one anyhow.is a ps3 value for money? i ve read the specs on them but i feel they glossy it up to entice you to bite. these places is where you get the true review in my opinion. regarding recording freeview channels thats all i would be after so thanks for that.

andy1weir
23rd February, 2010, 10:27 PM
when you say value for money, what exactly is it your after??

ps3 is good because you get a bluray player bulit in and free online gaming

but if its online gaming your after i would say 360, you get less lag and less disconects in middle of games

all depends what your after really

atlis
23rd February, 2010, 10:57 PM
what im after is basically somethimg that will ba able to play my media files without the hassle of burning discs recording tv watchn blu ray gaming......... when i get the time and surfing the net from the tv a media centre i suppose

andy1weir
23rd February, 2010, 11:00 PM
well deffo ps3 then m8 its got everything your after

ragoman
23rd February, 2010, 11:02 PM
I have a Western Digital hard drive 1TB and I play media files off that no probs, so the seagate should be fine

atlis
23rd February, 2010, 11:11 PM
thanks for advice now jumping to wii threads and ds:ciao:

jonnyluvrod
26th February, 2010, 07:05 AM
what im after is basically somethimg that will ba able to play my media files without the hassle of burning discs recording tv watchn blu ray gaming......... when i get the time and surfing the net from the tv a media centre i suppose

If you want to watch media without burning discs on a PS3, get yourself Java Media Server...

It's free and a fantastic bit of kit to stream all types of media, including full 1080p HD files direct to your PS3 wirelessly from your PC.

No more burning or converting.