PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Dash Dump EEPROM edits/modifications/map, J2534 Flashing?

Jeff57
9th June, 2022, 02:03 AM
Hey guys, most my hobby work is with 2007+ V8 3URFE Toyotas.

I have pretty extensively mapped the CAN bus signals between ECUs in my project vehicle. Now looking at dashboard modifications. Recently got an EEPROM reader and have been able to read the instrument cluster data. I know the first 3 lines are odometer value and I have successfully edited mine a few times for practice. Does anyone have insight to mapping the rest of the EEPROM values. Seems if I try editing any of the other bytes the cluster acts if the EEPROM chip is no longer present. I assume I am missing some checksums or somthing.

Ultimately looking for somthing like the VAG Dump editor or Dash Dump editor on Volkswagens ect. Would be cool to edit things like display background color, cluster lights on with key, maybe enable a digital speedometer page on the display ect on my Toyota. I am assuming/hoping Toyota has these options in EEPROM. Really looking to learn all I can about Toyota Dash EEPROM values. Collecting Toyota dash dumps to analyze and do comparisons.

Does anyone believe CAN bus maps and scalar values to run the needle gauges are stored in the EEPROM or would that be data in the flash memory of the cluster. I know when my EEPROM chip acts like itÂ’s not recognized, the fuel gauge no longer works until I restore factory EEPROM data. Being able to remap gauges and scales would be cool.

Secondly anyone have insight to rewriting EEPROM values from OBD2 port with a J2534 device? I know tools like XTool, OBDStart ect can reflash Mileage from OBD port I assume with J2534. I am considering a custom J2534 program/software to access read/write EEPROM from OBD2 port instead of pulling the cluster apart to go directly to the chip.

Thanks for all your help. Looking forward to learning and contributing to this forum.

dllas
9th June, 2022, 10:48 PM
friend,

none of the options you look for are in the eeprom. try mcu. eeprom contains only calibrations for gauges, units of measure, automatic or manual, plus odometer.

you will not maybe find tools such as VAG DASH DUMP EDITOR for toyota as toyotas are designed very differently and even then toyota modules made by different oems are many differences

Jeff57
15th June, 2022, 03:16 AM
friend,

none of the options you look for are in the eeprom. try mcu. eeprom contains only calibrations for gauges, units of measure, automatic or manual, plus odometer.

you will not maybe find tools such as VAG DASH DUMP EDITOR for toyota as toyotas are designed very differently and even then toyota modules made by different oems are many differences

I assumed so. By MCU you mean the flash memory and programming inside the cluster? Any tips on readers/connections to be able to even see this data. Once I can read it out of the chip I can start to modify ect

fuzz1
15th June, 2022, 06:10 PM
Hi
The member above gave you a lot of info. Find out what MCU is in your dash. Only then you will be able to know how to read the dash.

Jeff57
15th June, 2022, 10:26 PM
Hi
The member above gave you a lot of info. Find out what MCU is in your dash. Only then you will be able to know how to read the dash.

I have mapped all the chips on the board.
The Processor is a Fujitsu MB91590 32bit Microcontroller.
The Flash Memory is Cypress S29GL064N

Is my understanding the flash memory contrains the instructions for the processor. So to make changes edits I would need to read the Cypress Flash Memory Chip and not worry about changing anything inside the microcontroller/processor. I think

Still reseaching techquinces for reading flash memory data from a big chip like that.