PDA

View Full Version : corsa c oil problems

yamar1
24th February, 2010, 04:33 PM
The girlfreinds corsa c 2002 1.2 ecoshite which she has had for 4 years always has the milky creamy crap in the rockercover and the oil is changed yearly (5000miles), now i know this can be caused by short journeys (which she does plenty of!) but how do i know its that?, it does use around 1/4 ltr of water in the rad every 6 weeks or so, not much i know but it doesent raise the oil level or anything. i put it down to a minor leak but cant see it anywhare so sort of living with it and keep topping it up. anyone come across this??:dontknow:

laldog
24th February, 2010, 04:47 PM
If you can get access to a gas analyser run the engine and "sniff" the top of the coolant DO NOT SUCK UP ANY WATER,if the head gasket has blown you will see a rise in the HC's.

sandyboy2412
24th February, 2010, 04:53 PM
sounds like head gasget problem

gmb45
24th February, 2010, 05:13 PM
The girlfreinds corsa c 2002 1.2 ecoshite which she has had for 4 years always has the milky creamy crap in the rockercover and the oil is changed yearly (5000miles), now i know this can be caused by short journeys (which she does plenty of!) but how do i know its that?, it does use around 1/4 ltr of water in the rad every 6 weeks or so, not much i know but it doesent raise the oil level or anything. i put it down to a minor leak but cant see it anywhare so sort of living with it and keep topping it up. anyone come across this??:dontknow:
ive been doing short journeys round town in my 97 citroen for the last 3 years never had owt like this, creamy white shite in the rocker cover is a sign that the head gasket could have gone, if its only using 1/4 ltr of water every 6 weeks i dont think it will be the rad or hoses it would loose a lot more than that. another sign that you could have head gasket probs is oil in the water.

yamar1
24th February, 2010, 05:29 PM
ive been doing short journeys round town in my 97 citroen for the last 3 years never had owt like this, creamy white shite in the rocker cover is a sign that the head gasket could have gone, if its only using 1/4 ltr of water every 6 weeks i dont think it will be the rad or hoses it would loose a lot more than that. another sign that you could have head gasket probs is oil in the water.

iv been fixing cars for 20 years and the milky sludge is common on some cars, some worse than others, some dont do it at all. usually iv seen this on cars that do short journeys as its condensation build up in the rocker top, and the engine just isnt getting hot enough on the short journeys to displace this. it just seems worse in the cold weather. just wondering if its common on the corsa c 1.2. if any members own one

teuton
24th February, 2010, 05:44 PM
No, it is not common on this engine. In my shop I have seen dozens of them and they don' t produce milk shakes. The fact that you're loosing coolant isn't normal as well.

If you go for a longer ride, let's say at least one hour motorway, does the cream go away?

Missing a gas analyzer you can perform a cooling system pressure test to check for blown head gasket. Other possibility is cyl. leak down test and watch for air bubbles in coolant( this is more difficult with small leaks like you might have)

electromech
24th February, 2010, 06:28 PM
Ok we have all been fixing cars long and from personal experience milk in rocker is bad at most there must be 1 or 2 drops of water that is normal

cactikid
24th February, 2010, 09:05 PM
sniff test i would say to be sure as chemical goes from blue to yellow,you can have hundreds of bubbles and gasket not gone,have a look at waterpump under fanbelt for a white residue dried anti freeze,i have seen a number of cars in with us and cap and breather has mayonnaise in pipes and no water top ups needed.

teuton
24th February, 2010, 09:34 PM
If you get bubbles in coolant during leak down test you'll definetly will have a blown headgasket!!

cactikid
24th February, 2010, 10:19 PM
If you get bubbles in coolant during leak down test you'll definetly will have a blown headgasket!!
i have run cars for 15mins loads of bubbles no change in colour of test fluid,circulation problems maybe faulty stat or rad switch,if fluid changes colour then head off,removing head for loads of bubbles may be expensive,no butts with fluid blue ok,yellow gone it makes life easy.

smirnoff_rules
24th February, 2010, 10:29 PM
l would lose any sleep over it m8 ,, some do and some dont .. as long as the dip stick has clean oil on it its fine

yamar1
24th February, 2010, 10:44 PM
l would lose any sleep over it m8 ,, some do and some dont .. as long as the dip stick has clean oil on it its fine

agreed, i was just wondering if any members had the same car, i have seen it on loads of cars over the years the trip to the shops type cars, just with it loosing the coolant (and when i said 1/4 liter every 6 weeks i would say not even that amount!) i thought maybee. but it has been loosing it since she got the car 4 years ago!, but not into the oil.

jamiebhoy
27th February, 2010, 11:26 PM
if its just in cam cover just condensation and by the way it is common on all corsa z10xe z12xe

racin-snake
27th February, 2010, 11:56 PM
try cleaning the breathers and go from there a
also a leak test may be inconclusive if the leak is between water jacket and iol drillings
has it got an oil cooler ?