PDA

View Full Version : waiting time limit

jasbo7
25th February, 2010, 03:36 PM
@DF any chance of editing your post http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f2/welcome-kaos-1/ to say that new members have to wait maybe 1/2 hour as well before downloading....thats if they read this anyway

yorkslad
27th February, 2010, 09:08 AM
think they should have to wait 24 hrs

gmb45
27th February, 2010, 09:17 AM
hmmmmm might weed a few of the hit and runners out, but i dont think df can change the time limit to download, correct me if im wrong please, if it can be changed i would make it 1 hour.

xant14
27th February, 2010, 09:20 AM
other forums have different limits, say 5 posts or more. So I am sure somat could be done, if you feel this is necessary.

gmb45
27th February, 2010, 09:23 AM
other forums have different limits, say 5 posts or more. So I am sure somat could be done, if you feel this is necessary.
defo not increase the post limit they would be posting anything everywere

xant14
27th February, 2010, 09:28 AM
Aye, the'd be answering your shite even. ~~~~ it, let it stay as it is. Rather than see your stuff bumped.

Devilfish
27th February, 2010, 03:55 PM
After making their first post, members accounts are automatically upgraded. The cron runs every 15 minutes so a new member will not have wait longer than 15 mins before they can download, after making their first post.

If we increase the time limit, we're going to get members posting about why they can't download. If we increase the post count, same thing happens. It's less hassle for everyone if we keep it the way it is. We're always going to get 'hit and runners', that's the nature of the internet, not everyone wants to offer something back in return.

jasbo7
27th February, 2010, 04:42 PM
sorry but that was'nt what i meant....what i meant was to add some text to say that you had to wait till the server updates info...say about 15 - 30 mins...so that they dont keep askin the question

patkins
27th February, 2010, 07:52 PM
Stephenwolf and a few other DK`ers would agree with you on this one Jasbo following on from a recent post by stephenwolf.

boomshanker
27th February, 2010, 09:29 PM
Sorry for the whinge, but I'm finding being unable to post a new thread in music a bit of a pain. I'm told I need 25 posts and membership for a month before I can start a new thread. I could just post token replies to bump up to the required 25, but IMO thats just not cricket.
There must be a reason for it I guess, So how come on that rule?

~uploader waiting patiently to share

Devilfish
28th February, 2010, 02:56 PM
That rule is in force because members are posting affiliate links to downloads. This means that every time someone downloads using their link, they get money. These members don't benefit the forum, in fact the file hosting sites they are using are of such poor quality we'd rather not have them. Also, they are using autoposting software so they are not even on the forum. Completely waste of our resources and it strains the forum for genuine members.

If you are genuinely wanting to help the forum by posting download links, I'm sure you will understand.

@jasbo7, it is already explained in this sticky...

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f2/you-please-read-before-posting-1129/

...but I will edit that one to reflect the situation too.

jasbo7
28th February, 2010, 08:17 PM
oops...sorry..and i even thanked allycoops

boomshanker
28th February, 2010, 10:37 PM
Cheers for the reply MrFish, it makes a bit more sense now.
Ever thought about banning those cash-for-links filehosts?

*twiddles thumbs*

:D

Devilfish
7th March, 2010, 10:16 AM
Cheers for the reply MrFish, it makes a bit more sense now.
Ever thought about banning those cash-for-links filehosts?

*twiddles thumbs*

:D

Every single day I see them m8. Maybe when I get some time I'll go through them and ban them.

winslowboytp
7th March, 2010, 09:08 PM
I can see where the vets are coming from in this debate but I think they have been here so long they have forgotten what it is to be new.

I found this site a great help when I found it first. My reason for the visit was to download to get my starbox going.

It was a bit hard going to get this done but in the end SUCCESS!!.

I have since been back on a number of occassions reading the threads and gathering extra knowledge. However I am no techie head and am learning more than I can contribute but I do when I can. I have replied to a post from someone who was having the same problem as me and I hope I helped them.

I say keep helping the newbies regardless of how repetative and how stupid their posts sound. They are only here to absorb your knowledge. Is that not what the forums were designed for:questionmark:

Winslowboytp

Devilfish
11th March, 2010, 10:53 PM
Like I said, I can't fix it until I know the exact url to look at.