PDA

View Full Version : Fiat airbag module 52040843 advice please

TheGarage
28th September, 2022, 05:10 PM
Have a salvage Fiat 500 2014 here which I'm repairing. Rear ended so no airbags deployed.
Airbag light on and no communication possible with airbag module, tried both Abrites and Multi Ecuscan but not working. No problems connecting to anything else on car.

Airbag module has part number 52040843.
Haven't opened module yet to check for dry joints but anything in particular to look for?
I assume car battery went flat in salvage yard so could this have caused problem?
Maybe it needs reflashing or something.

dragon100
28th September, 2022, 06:46 PM
Try diagnostic on bench ...

TheGarage
29th September, 2022, 01:20 PM
Try diagnostic on bench ...

Found connections on forum and tried on bench with Abrites and fiat ecuscan but still no communication.

24 way connector A
Pin 1 Ground
Pin 2 +12
Pin 7 Can H
Pin 8 Can L

Had a quick look inside but no eeprom that I can see so guessing program must be in microcontroller.
Think car was standing for some time so maybe battery drained and caused issue?
Is this a common issue with these? Continental 52040843

AB4S
29th September, 2022, 02:56 PM
Your chip is SPC560P50.

Fiat 500 are very common for no communication errors with the airbag ECU, but saying that i thought it was the earlier shape with the EEPROM before they changed to SPC, unless they still carry the same common problem.

TheGarage
29th September, 2022, 03:07 PM
Your chip is SPC560P50.

Fiat 500 are very common for no communication errors with the airbag ECU, but saying that i thought it was the earlier shape with the EEPROM before they changed to SPC, unless they still carry the same common problem.

If I can find a programmer maybe try reading and reflashing it, if not have to try and find a replacement.
What about coding a replacement one, just do a proxy alignment?
Thanks.

AB4S
29th September, 2022, 03:14 PM
If I can find a programmer maybe try reading and reflashing it, if not have to try and find a replacement.
What about coding a replacement one, just do a proxy alignment?
Thanks.

Not too sure about coding, i don't really get involved with that side, i just clear the crash data.

If you search your part number on eBay there is a couple of companies offering to fix the no communication.. I don't think its a case of just re flashing the chip, i think its something on the PCB that goes bad. I have voltage regulator in my head but i may be wrong.

TheGarage
29th September, 2022, 07:41 PM
Not too sure about coding, i don't really get involved with that side, i just clear the crash data.

If you search your part number on eBay there is a couple of companies offering to fix the no communication.. I don't think its a case of just re flashing the chip, i think its something on the PCB that goes bad. I have voltage regulator in my head but i may be wrong.

I'll have to do some more research.
Thanks for your help it's much appreciated.