PDA

View Full Version : Why..?

melek84
25th October, 2008, 12:57 AM
Hi all

I just wonder why it is so important to use a serial cable to flash the DB when u change the img. I know that if the power supply is cut off when the flashing in progress the box will be trash but I have flashed a several times with the regular Ethernet cable? Is it very risky to do that?

Devilfish
25th October, 2008, 04:32 AM
It doesn't matter which way you flash it. The null modem way and dreamup is the most secure because that's the way it was designed to be updated. FTP'ing the image to the /tmp folder and using telnet commands to flash is probably equally as secure. Using a 3rd party software like FlashWizardPro is not a good idea; it might be a nice easy interface to use but I guarantee that if you keep using it, it will hang up at 95% and you will need to use Dreamup and null modem cable to reflash.

2tone
25th October, 2008, 08:17 AM
It doesn't matter which way you flash it. The null modem way and dreamup is the most secure because that's the way it was designed to be updated. FTP'ing the image to the /tmp folder and using telnet commands to flash is probably equally as secure. Using a 3rd party software like FlashWizardPro is not a good idea; it might be a nice easy interface to use but I guarantee that if you keep using it, it will hang up at 95% and you will need to use Dreamup and null modem cable to reflash.

Have had to do that a couple when i had my old 500 some times the long way is the best way

Arty
25th October, 2008, 03:07 PM
yea me too