PDA

View Full Version : Unstable - starview USB

tony_i
25th October, 2008, 09:06 AM
Hi

My Starview USB is a little unstable.
Especially when I've been flicking through channels I tend to lose vision on a lot of them. If I then reflash things are fine.

Is there a solution to this or do I just need to put up with it until the software is updated?

By the way, what's the word in regard to being able to schedule future recordings using the EPG and a hard drive? Will this be a future update?

Thanks

Tony

thered
25th October, 2008, 09:16 AM
i dont know anything about your box m8 but i know in d/load section there is one with a firmware fix whether this is for your box i dont know you might know better than me

tony_i
25th October, 2008, 10:28 AM
i dont know anything about your box m8 but i know in d/load section there is one with a firmware fix whether this is for your box i dont know you might know better than me

I'm using the latest (V1.02) firmware. Is there anything else I should have installed onto the box?

thered
25th October, 2008, 10:34 AM
not as far as i no m8 it may be just a firmware glitch if satsmo is on later im sure he will know a lot more about it

vrlika
25th October, 2008, 11:38 AM
I would personally do a factory reset then reload the latest firmware in the sticky then do a rescan.
Also I would check f-connectors,cable ,splitter and signal strenght.
cheers

tony_i
25th October, 2008, 05:57 PM
Should I just install the V1.02 file or the TheBoxSuperUSB_BG_LOGO_080904_.bin file
too?

thered
25th October, 2008, 06:33 PM
as far as i know m8 thats it

Digital Kaos - Downloads - Latest FirmwareThe Box Super USB V1.02 (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/starview/23/latest-firmwarethe-box-super-usb-v1-02-330/)

tony_i
25th October, 2008, 06:45 PM
There are several files contained within the download that you posted, though.

thered
25th October, 2008, 06:57 PM
just tried its the right page on mine il try again

Digital Kaos - Downloads - Latest FirmwareThe Box Super USB V1.02 (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/starview/23/latest-firmwarethe-box-super-usb-v1-02-330/)

sorry got wrong end of stick i thought the link did not work

tony_i
26th October, 2008, 08:09 PM
I would personally do a factory reset then reload the latest firmware in the sticky then do a rescan.
Also I would check f-connectors,cable ,splitter and signal strenght.
cheers

Tried all the above and still having problems.
I assume everything's physically set up as it should be as the problem only occurs when I've been channel hopping.

??

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

satsmo
26th October, 2008, 08:29 PM
Try the previous firmware 1.01. Do a factory reset first, turn the SV4 off for a minute and then reflash. Dont forget to put keycode back on and then scan again.

tony_i
26th October, 2008, 08:36 PM
Can you direct me to 1.01 please?

Cheers

satsmo
26th October, 2008, 08:40 PM
Its here Digital Kaos - Downloads - Startup Pack For The Box Super USB (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/starview/23/startup-pack-box-super-usb-324/) the file also contains software for viewing recordings on your PC.

tony_i
26th October, 2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks. I'll give it a go.

tony_i
26th October, 2008, 09:45 PM
Hmmm.

Still seems to be doing it.

Might be worth pointing out that the problem is with pay channels - standard freeview channels seems to be fine all the time.

satsmo
27th October, 2008, 03:49 PM
Did you load the logo file also? If so press menu, type 1570 on remote. Press default key. Exit to Sly Sports and let it update.

Is your box connected to the direct feed without splitters?

bazfresh
27th October, 2008, 05:01 PM
noticed mine did this when i first got it, seems to have settled down now. when it crashes there is no need to reflash just turn box on and off and it is sound.

use epg to flick through works a treat!!!:hmmmm2:

tony_i
27th October, 2008, 05:26 PM
satsmo - Tried your suggestion but still doing it. There's just the one feed into the back of the box, if that's what you're referring to?

bazfresh - You're right about the epg. It's just annoying that it's not working 100%. Unfortunately I do have to reflash all the time - the on/off trick doesn't work for me.

satsmo
27th October, 2008, 06:17 PM
Tony as you have tried all avenues I would advise sending it back to your supplier and ask for a replacement. Pain I know, but its not only firmware related according to your symptoms.

ezop
27th October, 2008, 06:30 PM
its a problem with all the sf4 usb's, mine does the same ..

until a new firmware comes out to fix the issue i would suggest using the EPG insted of channel hopping

satsmo
27th October, 2008, 06:46 PM
"All" wouldnt be the correct wording. The majority are fine some areas suffer due to the EPG set up, its been worked on at the moment. What provider and general area are you in?

You asked for a replacement box from the supplier and got one as it was a faulty bootloader and you said it was working fine at the end of September? Are you having the same problems again, if so are you using an external HDD?

tony_i
27th October, 2008, 07:06 PM
"All" wouldnt be the correct wording. The majority are fine some areas suffer due to the EPG set up, its been worked on at the moment. What provider and general area are you in?

You asked for a replacement box from the supplier and got one as it was a faulty bootloader and you said it was working fine at the end of September? Are you having the same problems again, if so are you using an external HDD?

I assume this was directed to ezop?

vrlika
27th October, 2008, 08:21 PM
I am getting woried now hearing all this about sv4 I am collecting mine this week hope I dont have problem with channel hoping etc.
cheers

loch lubnaig
27th October, 2008, 10:12 PM
have came across this a couple of times on my box where if you channel hop the screen is black if you rest on the channel for a few seconds the picture reappears if not flick up a channel then back it usually comes back on

vrlika
27th October, 2008, 10:21 PM
Is this the only bug on box 'cos I can live with that ?

loch lubnaig
27th October, 2008, 11:02 PM
dont worry,this box is the business,you'll be well pleased,these are only minor problems bearing in mind its still only beta software,ENJOY !!!

bazfresh
28th October, 2008, 01:58 PM
have came across this a couple of times on my box where if you channel hop the screen is black if you rest on the channel for a few seconds the picture reappears if not flick up a channel then back it usually comes back on

aye that works for me or if it crashes turn box on and off at plug or switch on back of box usually fixes it, not too much to worry about tho

vrlika
28th October, 2008, 04:41 PM
nice one. I was hoping that would be the case minor bugs.My patience is running out three days to go for my box.

ezop
28th October, 2008, 05:49 PM

I live in the manchester area .. autoscan setup was/is TW as exNTL finds only a few channels.

I have 2 sf4 usb's bedroom running v1.01b and lounge running v1.02b and they both do the black screen when channel hopping

I did get a replacement box the guys at wizard satellite were cool had no probs.
I can honestly say that i never noticed it at first because i didnt channel hop that much i always use the EPG (i find it easier to see whats on) and when it did/does do it 1570 fixes it .. I dont use an external HDD

come to think of it, it was the kids that brought it to my attention when they were channel hopping through the kids tv channels.

satsmo
28th October, 2008, 07:53 PM
Cheers ezop I can pass it on and see what the outcome is. TBH I am still waiting on the timer add on.

portbhoy
28th October, 2008, 08:15 PM
I am getting woried now hearing all this about sv4 I am collecting mine this week hope I dont have problem with channel hoping etc.
cheers

The box goes black screen through the 3000 channel range, it's been a known bug from the Beta release and is being worked on I'm afraid the fact that there was problems on certain TP's in Ireland means everything took a back seat for a while.

sharpe444
28th October, 2008, 11:39 PM
im thinking of getting a box because i was using the dbox but that crashed, should i go with the usb version or the basic, price differance is around ?30-?40 what should i do, seems like usb is easyer to navagate

satsmo
29th October, 2008, 02:18 PM
Try fix the Dbox first. When you say it crashed what do you mean?

sharpe444
29th October, 2008, 02:36 PM
i sent it back to the guy who sold it me and he said he cant fix it, something to do with the areal at the back, but i took it apart had a look but just still wont work, now it comes up with an all green screen so i dont know what i have done lol