PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, Is this correct

bigman2
26th October, 2008, 04:21 PM
Hi,

I have an open media receiver on order.

Just a few questions.

On the cable side :

Once I receive this am I right in thinking I can simply ftp the files from dreambox_stuff.rar into the relevant folders and get all the channels ?

Do I have to update the image with dk_v1[1].1.rar or is the image the box comes with ok ?

Does it matter whether I use flashwizard pro or dreamup to update. I have a null modem cable which I use to update my technomate 1000D and several ethernet points near the television which run up to a router/switch.
On the sat side :

I take it I turn the receiver off flick the switch to satellite and then flash a new image using flash wizard or dream up.

Thanks in advance.

portbhoy
26th October, 2008, 04:46 PM
Just make a backup or your current image and FTP to desktop you'll find it in the temp folder once backup is created, it's up to you how you put it on the box then just use the method that your most comfortable with on your dream. Personally I just FTP to the temp file and update that way. And yes you turn off the reciever and switch to Sat think of it as 2 different boxes, my personal preference is the EDG nemisis image for sat I'll upload it to the forum in a little while ;)

bigman2
26th October, 2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks Portbhoy.

I take it to backup the image in flashwiz pro I just click the Flash Image Backup button ? or telnet into the box and type the relevant command (cat /dev/mtd/3 > /var/tmp/backup.img) ?

After I put on say the DK image do I have to intall an emu or does it come already in the image ? If I have to install which one is easiest to go for ?

Sorry for all the questions but might as well get it right by asking lots of questions than bodging it up and then trying to find out what I did wrong.

Thanks.

portbhoy
26th October, 2008, 06:04 PM
Backup is usually under the blue button, user features something like that. When backed up it's in your Temp folder you just FTP it back to your desktop and thats it a complete backup of what your already using. Then it's simply a matter of flashing on to your openmedia all settings you have now will be the same. If your changing Image just take the Keys and Scce out of your working image, things change so much it isn't really worth taking services but you can if you want.