PDA

View Full Version : Ex5000pvr hard drive

ITS A SCAM !
26th October, 2008, 08:13 PM
can anyone please tell me the specs for which hard drive is compatable with the Ex5000pvr ?? I am currently looking out for one to fit in my box :hmmmm:

caveman_nige
27th October, 2008, 12:46 PM
It takes a IDE Laptop Hard Drive between 80gb/120gb

ITS A SCAM !
27th October, 2008, 03:47 PM
Many thanks for the reply....i had to ask because i have read elsewhere that it only takes a certain make/model. But i suppose they would say that, especially if they are selling them..:hmpf:

caveman_nige
27th October, 2008, 03:55 PM
This can sometimes be the case but should not be, some machines bios will not like to work with certain makes of drive. For instance in old IBM Thinkpads, they would be ok with an Hitachi or Sony drive, but would not be happy or boot at all with A fujitsu or Toshiba drive. The usual way of getting around it was to get a jumper of an old scsi drive and put it on accross two of the four pins which are separated near pin 1.

Many people have a preference as to disk makes but i would go for a quiet one. So although you will see a disk that spins at 7200rpm and you think you will get you will get great disk access times, you might, but you had better turn your volume up on the TV as well. Western Digital Whisper drive is ok, but shop around and be sure they will have a good warranty in case you are sold a recon drive... I have noticed a site that sells these boxes and they can sell the HDDs separately/extra, they seem to use Seagate drives, but that could be just their pics and the the actual drive you get varies on what they managed to blag from ebay...

http://www.eurovoxtvireland.com/product.php

However, they do seem pretty confident and adamant in their statement about the Seagate Momentus being the 'only' drive that will work with a Eurovox, I would tend to disagree,but maybe they know something.

Disclaimer:
I would wanna tinker with it and prove them wrong... I would in the end but the STB might not screw back together and all warranty would be void.

ITS A SCAM !
27th October, 2008, 04:35 PM
I have just sent a email to eurovox ireland, asking them why they want us to use a SEAGATE - MOMENTUS 5400.3 120 GB HARD DRIVE.

caveman_nige
27th October, 2008, 04:43 PM
Its the best way to proceed, be sure to post their response here for all the other guys who will have the same question in the future...

ITS A SCAM !
28th October, 2008, 07:17 PM
Here is the reply from Eurovox :wink:

This is a slimline hard disk, and will only fit this PVR box. I am
sure their are other brands available but we don't suply them, only
the SEAGATE.

Thanks
Tony
Eurovox Ireland

caveman_nige
28th October, 2008, 10:30 PM
What a bollocks answer, its a 'slimline hard disk'. They are obviously not very technical and as we thought its the disk they supply cos thats all they buy probably as they are the cheapest they can find. So a standard 2.5" laptop drive should do the job... Its embarrassing for a company that sells such kit to give that reply, they are certainly not rocket scientists or brain surgeons... Muppets..

.: JaCkPoT :.
29th October, 2008, 01:33 AM
What a bollocks answer, 'its a slim disk'. They are obviously not very technical and as we thought its the disk they supply cos thats all they buy probably as they are the cheapest they can find. So a standard 2.5" laptop drive should do the job... Its embarrassing for a company that sells such kit to give that reply, they are certainly not rocket scientists or brain surgeons... Muppets..

Ha lol they deserve cavemans words

caveman_nige
29th October, 2008, 04:16 PM
As an add on to this thread the only difference in drive size would be the height, which would normally be 9mm. This size has been in use for quite some time since the old Sony ones were stopped (12mm) and the (IBM HDD business) contract given/sold to Hitachi who stayed with 9mm to help laptops in keeping their weight and size down. The other manufacturers duly followed or were developing their own. Obviously technological improvements have also aided this.

The Seagate drives are 9mm (actually 9.5mm), so just be sure that any drive you buy is a 9mm.

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_momentus5400.2_120gb.pdf