PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screen on Packard Bell on XP

k8rew
26th October, 2008, 09:43 PM
My desktop PC keeps crashing and going to blue screen with various messages like 'Bad Pool Header' and 'Stop' coming on. This seems to happen just as it is starting up.

I have tried the recovery programme which seems to have worked but only for the day!!

Its a Packard Bell and only about 3 years old.

Has anyone any ideas what is wrong with it and how to put it right?

Hope you can help

caveman_nige
27th October, 2008, 02:10 PM
Have you recently added any new hardware if so disconnect it..

Then on Boot up, repeatedly hit the F8 key to bring up the safe mode menu, Boot to Safe Mode , choose "use last good configuration" and report back.

If you don't get a response quick, insert your XP Disk and boot from that to Recovery Console and run the following from the C:\ prompt:

fixboot
fixmbr
chkdsk /r

Do you have Roxio or Nero installed? If you are able to boot up remove them and try re-installing them, some people seem to think that this fault can be caused by a piece of software that associates itself with a part of your hardware i.e. your CDRW..

BTW what is the model of your PC, although you say it is just three years old, in PC terms it can mean almost obsolete, sorry to make you cry there....

Curious123
30th October, 2008, 01:32 AM
At our work most of the Blue screens are usually caused by problems with the hard drive and a re-install of Windows usually fixes the problem.

abdell1982
3rd November, 2008, 01:58 AM
reinstall is the best solution

narenvik
3rd November, 2008, 05:52 AM
download and burn a "knoppix" cd , booting up with that will give you a clue whether its your hardware or OS. If you don't get the same problems booting with knoppix that means its unlikely to be the hardware unless its an obscure hard disc failure.

joefrankryan
3rd November, 2008, 09:23 PM
Hi before I rebuild a pc with a blue screen I normally take it into safe mode if possible then systemitacilly start uninstalling drivers and rebooting. If you cant get into safe mode try removing the peripherals from the PC 1 by 1 once again if possible. Let me know how you get on

caveman_nige
3rd November, 2008, 09:28 PM
Be sure to know what he blue sceen can mean before killing your build and restarting from scratch. To many people panic when it can easily be fixed... Honest

B19MO
10th November, 2008, 09:36 PM
try booting up in safe mode 1 of your system files could be corrupt you try typing sfc /scannow at the command prompt

A7mag3ddon
1st December, 2008, 01:37 AM
Download and burn Memtest86+ and do a quick memtest could be your ram failing if its just out of the blue and you havent installed or added any new soft / hardware..

r0dd13
1st December, 2008, 02:01 AM
BSOD-Blue Screen of Death, reinstall OS the best/quickest solution to get you up and running again with the minimum of fuss
-Packard Bell otherwise known as Packard Hell

Street Hawk
1st December, 2008, 12:13 PM
It might be worth re-installing all your system drivers with the latest one's from the Manufacture's website and if this doesnt work then if you have data on your system you need, pictures, vids, important things you cannot replace then STOP! dont re-install your OS just yet.

Your best bet would be to Slave your hard drive and rebuild your system on another hard drive if you have files on your Hdd you need to save or copy what files you need on to a flash stick or other media you have to hand for storing your files.

Good luck

Street.