PDA

View Full Version : Data protection

steppenwolf
7th March, 2010, 10:47 AM
Just a thought. Here on DK we have many people that brings a lot of software, apps, solutions, advice etc. Most of that software is not so easy to find. But yet, we have a people, and trust me on that, who just come to DK as guests and grabs software for selling or to put on another forums. I don't think that is good for DK.

My proposal to Devilfish and other DK heads is to hide content of download links....

second one, don't allow downloads till some number of posts are made. For example, let say three. One introduction and at least two more to participate.

On this way (especially the first) we will have more people which will have to register on DK and participate so they can download. Not just grab links and run.

Regards!

gmb45
7th March, 2010, 10:52 AM
file robbers are on all forums m8, little any1 can do about it, if you increase the number of posts to download noobs will post any shite anywhere, as for hiding download links they will just post asking where are the downloads, you cant win lol reguarding any software posted on dk if it looks a bit dodgy or looks like advertising, report it the mods will look into it, ive reported countless sellars/ traders etc

patkins
7th March, 2010, 05:01 PM
I think that gmb has summed up in response to your thread steph.Lile you I am a DK vet. but I am also a newbie in terms of length on DK. I suppose I came here for something free whether info or other but I was amazed at what I found in the forums and am here to stay. I have voted for DK and in doing so I have seen the other sites above us and may just take a peep at them but DK is my home.

Devilfish
11th March, 2010, 10:41 PM
I know where you are coming from steppenwolf and I can understand your frustration. I've been on the forum scene for a while, mod'ed on another site and posted on hundreds.

Lets just say that I've learned to accept the leechers. We cannot combat them, stop them or curb them. You've just got to accept the they're out there and they will always take and never give.

We've just got to believe that for every leech out there, there is another giver willing to offer their time and help. 1:1 is probably never going to be achievable but hey-ho....

If we increase the amount of posts people have to make before links are visible, we'll just get people posting crap to get to that stage. The forum would be full of rubbish and quantity would take over quality. Plus the moderators would have a torrid time removing all the posts and we all know people have lives in the real world and cannot be on 24/7.

So whatever time people can give to DK I am eternally grateful and thank you for it. :)

ianmac
16th March, 2010, 12:16 AM
I also am a member of a few other forums (but this is my main home, scouts honour) & I will be the first to admit that I have taken a few links & ideas from this forum to put on others, (sorry)

But on the other hand I have posted loads of links & ideas on here, some of them that I gained from the other forums & others are links are uploads from my own Rapidshare acount.

So how I see it "what goes around comes around".

But one thing that I have noticed on other forums is that some do (as you say) manage to be able hide the download links ect from non members,

saying something like "you have to become a member to view this link - click here to become a member"

which I do think is quite a good idea, as many times I have seen (Guests) which I presume are our non members viewing the threads that have got download links ect in & are able to take them from here without ever becomming a member of DK.

But the links are still all fully visible to any members.

Not sure if this is possible to do on DK.

Thanks - Ian

opsmonkey
16th March, 2010, 12:34 AM
DK don't own the files.. they are open source.. they didn't appear here by magic.. they came from other sources, namely other sites.. i know for one, if i have found files on my travels that i thought would be of use i have uploaded them here for our members to utilise.. stupid to think it doesn't happen in reverse

steppenwolf
16th March, 2010, 10:13 AM
Guess you all are right. Specially Devilfish "quantity would take over quality". It was just a thought. I just wish all the best for Digital Kaos. This site has given many things to me and I am taking any opportunity to return. I wanted to hear your opinions. Best Regards to everyone.

softguy09
2nd May, 2010, 08:41 PM
On a FXP forum i use to be a member on, We used a lock-down feature on the board, you had to post a response to see the dload links, It was a VERY nice feature that's quite easy to code into vBulletin they you know who is leeching (File Robbing) and whois contributing! It may be a Simple Hi, But then you can look back and see if they are giving back or just taking files. that's how we determined who we kept and banned, Just a Thought. I have a question as well, how is our status's determined here? Thanks again Guys, You have a purdy damn nice forum here guys!

aftermath
4th May, 2010, 07:40 PM
On a FXP forum i use to be a member on, We used a lock-down feature on the board, you had to post a response to see the dload links, It was a VERY nice feature that's quite easy to code into vBulletin they you know who is leeching (File Robbing) and whois contributing! It may be a Simple Hi, But then you can look back and see if they are giving back or just taking files. that's how we determined who we kept and banned, Just a Thought. I have a question as well, how is our status's determined here? Thanks again Guys, You have a purdy damn nice forum here guys!

Nice post.

first i have seen the lock-down feature on forums, but all it does is create thanks posts, and we dont want thousands of posts saying thanks, but on that note it would be nice to see the lock-down feature and it only opens when you press the thanks button for the poster.

Your status on here will change depending on your post count ( this is an auto thing ) , but VIP, upward have to be chosen for what they do on the forum.

softguy09
5th May, 2010, 06:04 AM
Nice post.

first i have seen the lock-down feature on forums, but all it does is create thanks posts, and we dont want thousands of posts saying thanks, but on that note it would be nice to see the lock-down feature and it only opens when you press the thanks button for the poster.

Your status on here will change depending on your post count ( this is an auto thing ) , but VIP, upward have to be chosen for what they do on the forum.

Yeah thats what you get for sure, but at the same time you SEE whos doing that on a Consent basis and see who is leeching, But the thanks thing is a very good idea! you should see how much work that is to code into your board! Like I will Admin I have taken abit form the forum, But like others They give back, There are a few ppl on here i see that all they do is ask for a License or something like that, but no thanks, Noting, just a "Gimmie More" post, and we had alot of that on our forums but we cleaned it up nicely and made it a very nice place to be! and we had good members!
Thanks again for the reply bud! Awesome site m8!

steppenwolf
13th August, 2010, 08:37 PM
Things I was talking about. To protect DK from file robbers. You disagree with me and I have to say that you have made a good point. Now there is some norm that you have to furfill to be able to go in some sections of the forum. And now we have a plenty of rubish posts. Just look the introduce section for example. I saw two guys today that made more than 25 posts in a less than a half an hour. That is sh**t my friends.

Regards!

PremierD
13th August, 2010, 08:41 PM
And it will be dealt with severely mate ...believe me ...

super-cab
13th August, 2010, 08:54 PM
I also found with google the answers for my problem with my Peugeot on your forum.
At the first few visits I also downloaded the program to fix it.

I hope I'm not stamped as a the file-robber as you discribed.

I'm very thankful for all the people who are posting all useful info here.

PremierD
13th August, 2010, 08:57 PM
I think the point is mate .. get something ..give somthing back to the community...don't you think ...?

Devilfish
13th August, 2010, 09:00 PM
This won't carry on for long, registrations are closed and if spammers continue to ignore warnings and continue to spam, they will be banned, and not allowed to re-register. So they will be shooting themselves in the foot for their impatience.

maca
13th August, 2010, 09:01 PM
I think the point is mate .. get something ..give somthing back to the community...don't you think ...?
to share is to care..

steppenwolf
14th August, 2010, 06:52 AM
And now the intro sections is more and more looking like garage... lol

ahl
14th August, 2010, 10:46 AM
I understand why and what you are doing with the garage section and obviously, I have been caught in the net.

I was taught that it is good netiquette to read and get the feel of a forum before posting anything. Something I still believe is correct manners. Would posting redundant information or responding to a question that has already been answered have prevented this lock out?

I really see no sense in greeting every new member and welcoming them to the forum, a forum that I have been member of for a few short days, as I observed one person do a few hours ago.

If answering questions in areas I have no real expertise in is the solution to re access the automotive sections, so be it. It just seems counter productive.

Cheers!

Devilfish
14th August, 2010, 08:47 PM
Update here...

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f4/visitors-garage-please-read-154246/