PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Mercedes C300 Speedometer Repair

JandJSpeedShop
7th January, 2023, 12:08 AM
Wondering it anyone has an insight if this is a common failure of these instrument clusters? The speedometer ring (needle) just glitches like it is frozen but when not powered moves freely. I don't do much work with euro cluster would this be a simple recycler swap and just transfer over the eeprom info from OEM to replacement?

THANKS

waltermanuel
7th January, 2023, 12:31 AM
Hello, disassemble and check the work guide for the ring, which is not out of place, because if it is not in place, the stepper motor will get stuck.

JandJSpeedShop
7th January, 2023, 02:59 AM
Hello, disassemble and check the work guide for the ring, which is not out of place, because if it is not in place, the stepper motor will get stuck.

I have it apart already and the ring seems to be floating fine in those guides and nothing is bound up. Do the stepper motors just go bad?

waltermanuel
7th January, 2023, 03:11 AM
The stepper motor has two internal coils, verify continuity with a multimeter in hos, (4 pins continuity in 2 in 2) and after that they will have good contact on the board. This is a photo of a psa speedometer very similar to yours, I hope it is useful934824934825

JandJSpeedShop
7th January, 2023, 04:24 AM
The stepper motor has two internal coils, verify continuity with a multimeter in hos, (4 pins continuity in 2 in 2) and after that they will have good contact on the board. This is a photo of a psa speedometer very similar to yours, I hope it is useful934824934825

Mine looks like the second picture you posted. I will check the circuit board I guess it is possible that the solder broke. Will check again when I go back to my shop tomorrow. I appreciate the help. Are these instrument cluster known for having problems/issues like this?