Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts

Hi
    Yes the reading would be helpful.
    For airbag you don't really need an ESR meter. You need a reader like upa vvdi....

Testing a capacitor for short is simple. You place one probe on ground and the other on the capacitor. Only one side of the capacitor should be connected to ground. If both sides is connected means capacitor is shorted

Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I connected multimeter back up, what I noticed is im able to read capacitance of the majority of the capacitors on the board using it, there is 3 that wont and im getting OL.

I also put one on ground and the other on both sides of the capacitor and the multimeter automatically selects the one where it bleeps, would this then mean its shorted and no longer any good, or have I done this incorrect.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts

A beep on two sides of a capacitor means a short to ground. It does not necessarily mean that the capacitor is bad. The short has to be found and eliminated.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fuzz1 For This Useful Post:

neilp1990 (14th March, 2024)

Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Removed capacitor, its still bleeping also couple others on the board are, I think there is more to it that just couple capacitors blown. I have been looking at them esr meters they vary in price and selection is huge, so I am unsure on that at the moment as i dont no much about them. I have replaced the launch with a new one. I am just going to keep my eye out for one of these crp909 with issue elsewhere and use mine for parts. Would you like me to post this smd capacitor to you? so you can try workout what you need.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts

It's not good to go at the component level for airbag modules.
    So no it's not needed for airbag module. It's only used to check if capacitors are good.
    What are you checking with the voltmeter?
    As for the reading yes I still need the value of the capacitor.

Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm using AstroAI Digital Multimeter Voltage Tester Electrical Tester 10000 Counts, if you pm me your whatsapp and I'll post you the smd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12