Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Zafira Y20DTH Limp Mode 30mph - fault scans attached, where is air temp sensor?

Hi guys,

Had this in a while ago, it was indicating it wanted a MAF and it had an air temp sensor fault. I presumed this was in the MAF. Car intermittently puts engine light on and does 30mph tops, rest of time it goes fine, 50k miles on the clock.

Got the car back to put a MAF on and did a scan first, this is what I got:

VehicleManufacturerSpecific: 0470504227

Total number of fault codes: 6

P0070 - Ambient Air Temperature Low Input
    (02) - Present

P0380 - Glow Plug Circuit
    (0B) - Not present

P0105 - Barometric Pressure not plausible with Boost Pressure
    (0A) - Not present

P1105 - Barometric Pressure not plausible with Boost Pressure
    (0A) - Not present

P0100 - Mass Or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
    (02) - Not present

P0400 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
    (05) - Present

I figured most of that was to do with the MAF so cleared the codes and put it on. Ran okay for a few seconds then limp mode kicked in and the engine light came back on, I got these codes:

Total number of fault codes: 2

P0070 - Ambient Air Temperature Low Input
    (02) - Present

P0400 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
    (05) - Present

Will the EGR fault affect limp mode and if so is it a new unit like on the Z19's or something different? Also any thoughts from anyone who has had similar problems, in particular where is the Ambient Air Temmperature Sensor and does that have a bearing on the problem perhaps, as it's the same code as originally.

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm afraid I don't have the experience on these engines!

Greg.
    VCDS (new Vag-Com) 907 Hex+Can Registered + Vag Tacho 2.5 + VAG5053
    2002 Skoda Octavia L&K 1.8T Auto Estate, cruise, climate & leather = lovely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i know on the astra 1.7 z engines if these are not gave a good thrashing now and again the manifold can get clogged up with soot causing egr faults my mechanic says coz swirl flaps start getting stuck inside manifold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay so I need to check out the EGR further, however I'm still at a loss on the Air Temp. Can anyone confirm if there is a relay to this (I read elsewhere there is) and where the sensor is? Also I don't have the experience to know which of the above is causing limp home - on VW's low EGR flow either does nothing (early) or puts engine light on, but in either case they drive fine. I don't understand why/what the strategy is of making the car dangerous to drive (won't go over 30) just because of IAT or EGR which are not something like overboost which could be dangerous to the engine (that will throw a VW into limp, but limp can still do 70mph so it's safe to drive). Gr
    VCDS (new Vag-Com) 907 Hex+Can Registered + Vag Tacho 2.5 + VAG5053
    2002 Skoda Octavia L&K 1.8T Auto Estate, cruise, climate & leather = lovely.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

According to Tis-2000 the P0400 puts it in Limp home mode.
    Probably because of exhaust emissions being too high.
    If you do more work on Opel's search the forum and download Tis.