Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Sky+ HD Box 500GB

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this falls under the fourm rules...
    "13. Discussions about hacking or modifying Sky receivers will be removed"

If it does then please feel free to delete/modify

I have a spare Sky+ HD box Lying around

I have read that if you switch it off before your cancelation date it stops it from having the record function switched off, now as there was a 3 day over lap between my old subscription ending and my new subscription starting my old box got dissconnected before its contract end date and the new box got put in its place.

Am I right in thinking that it will still record FreeSat, and if so how do I do it? do I need to purchase another card from Sky or from a FreeSat company?

Thanks in advance

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

Afraid not as soon as you swith the box back on and leave it eventually it will get an EMM update to the card disabling all entitlements including recording

3. The Following User Says Thank You to digicon For This Useful Post:

ramjet (27th January, 2016)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    278 Posts

you can pay for sly plus only but it costs say ?10 a month (or used to)

there are many receivers that can record freesat, preferably ones with an internal HDD , so maybe humax or similar

or boxes like the VU range with an internal HDD (always try to use an internal hdd)

there were old reports of some sly plus boxes with cards still allowing the RECORD function to work, but as said above an EMM will arrive into your present sly card and switch it down to freesat only , so only sony tv and sony movies and motors tv would be available to view using the card, not to record as nothing will record (and nothing will play back either)

it will postcode the card (and therefore the box) as a freesat box for your region though

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ramjet For This Useful Post:

digicon (28th January, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Oh that's a shame,

Its a waste of a perfectly good box, would have been good if I could have bought a different card to put in it and use it as a FreeSat record box, the menu and EPG on it are so user friendly
    I'v subscribed to Sky for over 14 years now and am very use to the layout.

Never mind, I suppose I can still keep it as a spare in case my box ever breaks

Thanks for your help.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    278 Posts

its firmware doesnt accept different cards, only the official bt/sly/setanta ones

and yes they would make a good PVR for the reasons you say but as the sly plus system is owned and patented by sly, they keep control of it by using a lock and key system, where the key is the subbed card with a tier on it for sly plus , their bespoke record and playback system , its their software , their firmware , their card , their pairing system , theirs , theirs , all theirs ,

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ramjet For This Useful Post:

digicon (28th January, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

There clever like that,

There's bound to be people out there that just pay the ?10 a month subscription charge to be able to record just for the simplicity of it.
    They also say if you subscribe to any of there services even just broadband they will let you keep the pause/record function on the Sky box.

They have us by the short and curly's

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

Not 100% sure but i think the ?10 a month just for the recording feature stopped a while ago you now have to take at least the Basic Package ?20+

11. The Following User Says Thank You to digicon For This Useful Post:

ramjet (28th January, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I actually read on hot deals UK that they are letting people have the recording function for free, not sure if there's any truth in it or Werther its just a publicity stunt