Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default .mpg files from DVD recorder

hey all,

wondering if any1 could help,

have an LG dvd recorder with some programs recorded off the tele stored on it,

thought i'd be a bit clever and back em up on the PC, have a IDE adapter and am able to read the hard drive and can see all the files, only issue is they are .mpg file format and won't play on VLC or WMP 11. (even though i've selected to play .mpeg and .mpg files)

can't copy and paste the files onto the desktop either as they are protected.

reading around i'm guessing the file format has some form of encryption, does anyone know if it is possible to get around this?

not life and death just fiddling about

thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The LG DVR/DVD Recorders should have a "Send to PC" feature that allows you to plug the recorder up to the PC and transfer your recorded shows.

Any chance you still have your manual? Or at least give us the specific model number? I bet LG provides their manuals online if yours is missing. It should have instructions on how to transfer your recordings over.

There may be another option to transfer the recordings from the built-in hard drive to a blank DVD-/+R disc. If you could do that, then it's possible to rip the DVD disc to an avi format using any number of DVD ripping utilities available online.