Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I am know you can reflash used ecm but you will need to the factory passwords to reflash. It is either reason 5 or 55 to reflash the ecm horsepower settings. The fls/fts i forget what reason it is but you can probably run it with whatever setting are there already. as far as using those other ecm's i dont want to tell you that they are going to work because i really am not sure but what i have done in the past is make up bench cables and just try and send the files to the new ecm if it cannot take the flash file it will tell you not compatible or unable to flash something to that affect as long as they are the same number of pins for the ecm harnesses i think it will work for you i believe they are 40 pin for old 70 pin for acert and now i think they even have 120 pin ecm plugs but i think those are for machines and twin turbo c-15 acert hope this helps you have a good day and let me know how you make out if you post the engine/generator serial number and arrangement i may be able to look up the original flash file on cat sis have a good day good luck

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

thanks for informations , good day my friend .

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Typically a Truck ECM like 6nz will talk on ATA and the Genset will want CDL so anotherwords the ECM are not compatible. They both use pins 8 & 9 and as such cant be used for both protocols.

However some 40 pin ECM?s have both CDL and ATA pinned out using pins 1 & 7 and pins 3 & 9 and as such can be interchangeable! As they both Flash on ATA but when you convert an On Hwy Truck engine ECM to an Excavator ECM it will drop the ATA protocol.. However ATA can still be used in winfalsh only.

On the subject of disconnecting during a Flash!!!!!! This is actually recommended by CATERPILLAR and as such it?s in no way detrimental to the ECM. As such feel free to do this as its handy at times.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Far_Call For This Useful Post:

jdawg (8th October, 2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DDS View Post
    I have two wash files but they will not work with truck ecm with winflash.

Hey DDS, if they do not work with winflash, what program will they work with?

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Far_call how far though the flash do u pull the power to clear it 10% 20% 90%?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Not really sure i was told as soon as it starts to reprogram when you see the little percentage bar start moving just pull the plug and it erases the ecm never really tried it but a friend of mine says it works really good and he does it all the time

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

today i tried disconnecting during a Flash!!!!! it's work 100%
    i do it four tims , but the problem with run time hour and loged event codes , when wash the ecm its become blank and when reflash it with compatble .fls file still read the latest hour and loged codes ,there are other problem the ecm still need factory password to change some coigurations , but when flashing new blank ecm you don't need FP , by the way whene flash with non compatble flash file the mismatch is big problem.
    about whene you to disconnecting during a Flash ?
    whene click bigen flash after three seconds disconnect the power .i hope this info is help .

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

It seems that what we need here are the wash flash files to blank the ECMs to fix the personality module.
    Please if some body has these files or a program to blank the ECMs please share them or post more info about this topic.
    I personally have asked all the people I know in my area but with no luck yet. If I found something I will post it right away.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jackalfa For This Useful Post:

sysjay (19th June, 2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Disconnecting the cable during flashing will ONLY ERASE the existing flash file in the ECM. Althought, the Personality Module Flash code will remain in the ECM including diagnostic clock and etc. Re-flashing the ECM with different PM code flash file will display MISMATCHED ERROR.
    You can checkand verify the PM code with the corresponding flash file in the FLASH CD readxref with detailed Engine RATING. You can check also in attached pdf file as your reference. This is the most latest flash file readxref.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Strykerforce; 20th September, 2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: attached Flash File Readxref

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Strykerforce For This Useful Post:

catfixer (30th December, 2022)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

i'm working in this truck: GM 1998 Caterpillar 3126 w/ Auto Transm. Engine S/N 7AS43698-NW, with flash file 1894824 (thanks to tonyspamone) WITHOUT EPA LoNox Cert.,
    It gives me an interlock of 52 (Personality Module 52) with 190 HP @ 2200 and 520 lb-ft @ 1440. There it's another flash file I can install with same personality module 52 with more HP and more lb-ft torque? or from this PM 52 to which I can go or switch without have the problem of the personality module mismatch?
    It can happen that I can not use the flash files in these DVDA9021-71 and DVDA9020-71 disks because all have the EPA LoNox Cert.?
    I appreciate your help to this problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jackalfa View Post
    i'm working in this truck: GM 1998 Caterpillar 3126 w/ Auto Transm. Engine S/N 7AS43698-NW, with flash file 1894824 (thanks to tonyspamone) WITHOUT EPA LoNox Cert.,
    It gives me an interlock of 52 (Personality Module 52) with 190 HP @ 2200 and 520 lb-ft @ 1440. There it's another flash file I can install with same personality module 52 with more HP and more lb-ft torque? or from this PM 52 to which I can go or switch without have the problem of the personality module mismatch?
    It can happen that I can not use the flash files in these DVDA9021-71 and DVDA9020-71 disks because all have the EPA LoNox Cert.?
    I appreciate your help to this problem.

If you have problem with this interlock code, I believe it's required factory password to proceed, the factory password screen just save it to html, then post it to this page, I will try to help you by giving the FPS.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

RE Disconnecting during Flash>>>>>> AS PER CAT...

Clearing and Flashing The Electronic Control Module{7610, 7620}

Caterpillar Products:that Use Flash Programming All Introduction

The problem that is identified below does not have a known permanent solution. Until a permanent solution is known, use the solution that is identified below.

Refer to the following information.
    This is in response to the requests for information regarding the flashing of Electronic Control Modules in order to aid in troubleshooting machine control system issues. Use of this procedure is not an alternative for the procedure to clear the ECM of software which is required for Engine Electronic Control Modules that have configuration parameters that are protected by a factory password.
    Clearing The ECM

Clearing an ECM by interrupting the flashing process will erase only flash memory. However, the Non-Volatile Memory, which stores calibrations, diagnostics, histograms, and configuration values, will be not erased.
    Flashing The ECM

When the Electronic Control Module is cleared and the Electronic Control Module is flashed again with a different application software, the premium feature software that was installed will be lost.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

OK my friend
    but did you have other solution ???? or did you now how can i erase the engine serial number ???

thanks

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Give me the original flash file number and the flash file number you want to make it and ill test and ECM for you.
    Provide what serials are there now and what you want it to be.
    Even better do an ECM replacement dump and paste that here and ill test it all.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

my friend all i need is blanking the used ecm , i mean deleting evrry thing in ecm to become blank , just like new ecm.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast