Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    V.I.P. VIC
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The order in which an equation is written cannot ever affect the answer as long as you stick to the rules of arithmetic.

A calculator that gives 35 to this problem is either not being used correctly (read the instruction book) or it is faulty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    B brackets
    O of
    D division
    M multiplication
    A addition
    S subtraction

You lot never heard of that. It is the most basic rule of arithmetic.
    just read this after i posted yes that is correct i remember bodmas now youve mentioned it so the 4x5 does come first before the plus 3 to make 23

but it does beg the question why do we not teach this in primary school because in primary school it would be 35

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have posted this on a few forums and it has opened up quite a debate, basically we are all right due to the teaching problems in this country it would seem. I am not daft but I never did any higher grade of maths at school (couldn't be a**ed) so although I have heard of BODMAS and know how it works I still fall back to primary school teachings.
    Virgin Tivo 500Gb

V.I.P. VIC
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The real problem is that people that enjoy mathematics never ever go into teaching young people they always end up in universities never in schools.

Both my kids used to come home with just plain wrong information that their maths teachers had tried to tell them was right.

You cannot teach what you don't understand and I have not met a single primary or secondary teacher that understood numbers and basic arithmetic.

To make it more understandable here if you added "I have 3 cans of beer and 5 four packs how many cans have I got" then no one will get it wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The real problem is that people that enjoy mathematics never ever go into teaching young people they always end up in universities never in schools.

Both my kids used to come home with just plain wrong information that their maths teachers had tried to tell them was right.

You cannot teach what you don't understand and I have not met a single primary or secondary teacher that understood numbers and basic arithmetic.

To make it more understandable here if you added "I have 3 cans of beer and 5 four packs how many cans have I got" then no one will get it wrong.
    I understand and appreciate what you are saying but (devils advocate here) who and why states that BODMAS takes precidence. In a problem as written 3+4x5 why shouldn't it be solved from left to right. What in science makes it right to instigate BODMAS?
    Virgin Tivo 500Gb

V.I.P. VIC
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart 0366 View Post
    I understand and appreciate what you are saying but (devils advocate here) who and why states that BODMAS takes precidence. In a problem as written 3+4x5 why shouldn't it be solved from left to right. What in science makes it right to instigate BODMAS?
    The same people that say + means add them together and - means subtract them. It is just the basic rules of arithmetic.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pawliukazz View Post
    Obviously i can laugh from most of you here, because you don't know math's basics....

@larryoke you can shut your math to your's *** because your answer was dummest of all...
    pawliukazz no need to start slagging, as I said No maths genius, but then again I've only worked it out as it's written which is the way I was taught basic maths, being over 50 it was a long time ago when I was at school, I do stand corrected but why not just an explanation rather than slagging!!

V.I.P. VIC
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by larryoke View Post
    pawliukazz no need to start slagging, as I said No maths genius, but then again I've only worked it out as it's written which is the way I was taught basic maths, being over 50 it was a long time ago when I was at school, I do stand corrected but why not just an explanation rather than slagging!!
    I have to agree with you on this. Why would you laugh at someone for not knowing something? That is just absurd, if we all did that I suppose the world would be full of laughing people but it wouldn't be very happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The same people that say + means add them together and - means subtract them. It is just the basic rules of arithmetic.
    Therefore by definition the answer is 35. The basic rules of arithmetic as taught at primary level cover this in all text books.

I love a good debate
    Virgin Tivo 500Gb

V.I.P. VIC
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Therefore by definition the answer is 35. The basic rules of arithmetic as taught at primary level cover this in all text books.
    I am not talking about teaching I am talking about the laws that cover arithmetic. What people teach in no way affects the correct way to do something. The correct answer is, and always will be 23. That is of course making other assumptions about the nature of the problem that are inherently assumed and not specified.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love a good debate
    As long as it doesn't end in a slanging match

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

I love a good debate
    scottish maths books when i was a lad was what we learnt from

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

if you google 3+4*5

you will get 23

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry Mjolinor but it does come down to teaching. If we cannot teach our youngest the proper way (which I personally disagree with anyway) in the first place then how can we expect them to know in later life, if like me, they don't like or care for math?

The question still stands, what makes BODMAS right. It may be semantics but what is the reasoning behind it?
    Virgin Tivo 500Gb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

if you use the calculator on your pc and do 3+4*5 you will get 35, dont think the calc on here is faulty, but then again it is microsoft so could be shite!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast