Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Prog to edit files and a bit of help please

Guys , I'm new to all this so please be gentle.

I'm in the process of buying a Genius 2 and wondered if there was a way to compare an original ecu dump from a modified one to work out what the differences are ?

Also if I want to remove a DPF from a cars ECU is there a guide I can use to find where in the dump it is and what the values should be to turn it off ?

Thanks in advance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nilrem View Post
    I'm in the process of buying a Genius 2 and wondered if there was a way to compare an original ecu dump from a modified one to work out what the differences are ?
    There is, your ECU dumps will be hex files. So a simple hex editor would do the trick however it wouldn't tell you much. There's a demo version of winols available here EVC electronic - The Tools For Chiptuning, if you were just comparing the differences this should be more than enough (if you get heavily into this you're going to need to learn to use WinOLS anyway, probably).

Otherwise, take a look at TunerPro it's free/shareware and some people like it, but it should do what you want. I've heard of some people using a combination of the WinOLS demo and Tuner Pro (copying changes from WinOLS into Tuner Pro)... Sounds like hassle.

Anyway... before you get too excited, bear in mind that if you're buying a slave unit and getting your files from somewhere else they may well (almost certainly) will be encrypted and you won't be able to compare the differences. But you *might* be able to e.g. take before and after dumps using another tool and compare them that way...

Quote Originally Posted by nilrem View Post
    Also if I want to remove a DPF from a cars ECU is there a guide I can use to find where in the dump it is and what the values should be to turn it off ?
    Thanks in advance
    Lots about this on these forums mate, try the search button up ^^^^ there. It's not straight forward but is do-able. Again, if you're buying files ask your supplier if they can do this for you.

Hope this helps!