Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote======done it before and it wasn't received that well - especially from the English on here - which are the majority).

I'm wondering if English are the majority on here?? I think probably there are more non english on here when you add everyone up.. we have so many members and from all over the world

The Falkirk Wheel. The only rotating boat lift of its kind in the world

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As we're all wondering where we're from, could someone clarify something for me please. "Andy Murray" where the hell is he from, I thought he was Scottish ?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

well if i go back at least i can go to uni free!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

I think its wrong that Scottish Welsh and NI MP's can vote on items that affect people living in England...

Obviously matters that relate to the whole of the UK, no problem with that but why should they be able to vote on matters that affect only those in England..??

Why should the MP for Glasgow be able to vote on a matter affecting someone in Liverpool, but a Liverpool MP can not vote on matters arsing in Glasgow (and why would he want to..?)..

I dont think its a "Scots do one over the wall", well its not for me.. I just think its a bit off that MP's from the Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly can have a say in purely English affairs

If it affects the UK then all should vote
    If it affects the Scots then (as now) only the Scots should vote
    If it affects the Welsh then (as now) only the Welsh should vote

And

If it affects the English only the English should vote
    Last edited by opsmonkey; 26th November, 2010 at 11:29 PM.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts

@opsmonkey

Referring to your statement: ?I just think its a bit off that MP's from the Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly can have a say in purely English affairs.?

As far as I understand it, and speaking for Scotland only, Members of the Scottish Parliament, known as MSPs are unable to vote on any matters in the UK Parliament. They can only vote in the Scottish Parliament and not in the House of Commons.

The only way your concerns could be addressed, is if England were to have its own parliament. I would for one support an English Parliament. It?s very unfortunate that English interests can only be represented in a United Kingdom Parliament whose members include those from all member countries.

In the Scottish parliament; only devolved issues can be controlled. For example, Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is being abolished in England, but Scotland is still keeping it, obviously because it is a devolved issue.

So really, England needs its own parliament to control devolved issues, i.e matters affecting England only. I?d be OK for the UK parliament to allow the use of a few rooms so English Members of Parliament (MEngP) can vote on devolved matters. (Notice the clever use of Eng, instead of E, so not as to confuse with European Parliament)

Parliaments rely on the majority vote, even to decide on what colour of toilet paper to use, so to ask MPs to decide on what affects which country would be near on impossible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123