Register

Thread: CPU advice

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default CPU advice

I am considering replacing my ageing desktop (Home built) and having lost touch with current technology was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

I have 2 similar PCs one of which is used exclusively by the wife who spends tons of time on Facebook playing games.

My PC is mainly used for Internet browsing, occasional simple graphics work/photo editing and occasional watching of video.

I am not a gamer so would not require a very high end gaming machine.

I prefer Intel processors and was wondering what people thought of the Intel i3, i5 units?

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

I am running 2 Q6600 (Quads @ 2.4Ghz) with 4gb ram in each, 1 is a gaming machine with a GTX280 other for what you mentioned, downloading, watching video, browsing ect.

The Q series CPU is a great CPU, i would expect the same from the I series that you mentioned, but also dont forget about the Q series as these are great for desktop and will be cheaper now the I series is out

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cunny View Post
    I am running 2 Q6600 (Quads @ 2.4Ghz) with 4gb ram in each, 1 is a gaming machine with a GTX280 other for what you mentioned, downloading, watching video, browsing ect.

The Q series CPU is a great CPU, i would expect the same from the I series that you mentioned, but also dont forget about the Q series as these are great for desktop and will be cheaper now the I series is out
    Thanks Cunny

If I decide to build with these could you recommend a moyherboard?

It seems this processor is retired or obsolete and the supplier I usually use no longer stocks it.

How bomb proof is it as there are several pre used on fleabay?

Is this one of those that runs cool even without a heatsink/fan?

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts

It's because of the new 'i' series that suppliers are no longer stocking the quad processors. I would take a quad over an i3 or i5 any day. They are cheaper & should run just as fast as an i5 for your type of usage.

It will need a heatsink & fan. As far as boards go have a look down the Asus & MSI route. If I get the time I'll have a look around.
    Canker

"Animal, vegetable or mineral... I'll do anything, to anything, with anything"
    - The Baby Eating Bishop of Bath & Wells
    [COLOR=Green]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

C2D or quad woud be over your head. I have E6400 for gaming, video watching, picture editing, typing and so on.
    They run cool and can be easly overclocked and still run cool and stable and fast. You could buy second hand, because they are easy to check if they work and wery well built so they dont brake down unless your overheat them.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks to all who have offered advice in this thread.

Because of an unforseen domestic expense, funds were restricted and so I decided to go for the cheaper AMD solution.

Eventually built 2 computers using the following items from ebuyer

Western Digital WD6402AAEX 640GB Hard Drive SATAIII 7200rpm 64MB Cache - OEM Caviar Black Cost: ?42.33 each

Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 880G Socket AM3 ONboard 128MB Memory DVI VGA HDMI Out ATX Motherboard Cost: ?64.67 each

AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition 3.3GHz Socket AM3 80w 7MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor Cost: ?66.19 each

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10666 Gold i5 Memory Kit 1.65V CL9(9-9-9-20) Cost: ?38.28
    (Other computer has Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz HyperX Blu Memory Kit CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered Cost: ?57.93)

Powercool 650W Modular PSU 80+ Dual 12V V2.2 High Efficiency Qty: 1 Cost: ?38.40

Samsung SH-S223 22x DVD?RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black Qty: 1 Cost: ?10.20

Used my existing case for 1 unit and a new case with power supply for the other system.

It is worth pointing out that this Asus board has the ability to unlock dormant cores in the AMD CPU and I was able to unlock one of the blocked cores in the CPU successfully. (Haven't tried the wifes computer yet)

Have also used the Asus software (Autotune) to successfully overclock the processor to just over 3.8MHz without any problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I use the: AMD phenom ii x4 940 black edition

and my son has just built his own pc, and he is using the: Intel Core i5 760 2.8GHz
    we both use Asus motherboards

the Amd is about ?40/50 cheaper, and I think it's a better CPU, but it's horses for courses.

Top Poster +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been using AMD CPU's for years and found them very good and I think they are better value then intel. But as Tshirtman said each to their own. I don't think you'll be disappointed with your choice.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts

As stated above, each to their own. But my only recent experiance with the AMD processors put me off them again.

Dual core 5Ghz 64 bit processor......fried after about 7 months use. stock installed, no over-clocking. Give me Intel any day.

Thinking about it, it might of had more cores.... think I've still got it somewhere, might try & dig it out.
    Canker

[COLOR=Green]

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Canker_Canison View Post
    As stated above, each to their own. But my only recent experiance with the AMD processors put me off them again.

Dual core 5Ghz 64 bit processor......fried after about 7 months use. stock installed, no over-clocking. Give me Intel any day.

Thinking about it, it might of had more cores.... think I've still got it somewhere, might try & dig it out.
    Wouldn't it still be under warranty if it was only 7 months old when it went faulty?

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    134 Posts

Nice thought, but I bought it off a friend for my sister & brother-in-law. My friend bought the system on-line knowing it had a fault.
    Found the fault, it was a memory module that wasn't fully inserted into the mobo. 7 months later when it popped I provided them with a 2.8Ghz P4 machine. I had used it for about 3 years, my little brother had it for another 18 months or so...within about 2 months of installing it at my sisters...it died with power issues. So, another AMD went into the original machine, ebay job, & within 3 ~~~~ing weeks it died with power issues.

I'm beginning to believe that my moronic brother-in-law can kill things just by looking at them. Or he's been playing with the socket ring-main in the house...idiot.
    Canker

[COLOR=Green]