Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default MB Star multiplexer not working??

Hello,

I've bought an MB Star C4 from uobd2.com the following one:
    MB STAR compact C4 star diagnosis fit all computer Free shipping

I can't get the CAESAR self diagnosis get anything to say except the picture below. Will the CAESAR self diagnosis work if there isn't a car connected? Normolly it should right?
    Are my COM-port settings right? I Have used a 12V adapter to supply the power to the multiplexer. The led is green so it should work I guess.
    As you can see I also talked to the live support, and guess what, it sucks!

Thanks already.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pixel123; 2nd December, 2010 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel123 View Post
    Hello,

I can't get the CAESAR self diagnosis get anything to say except the picture below. Will the CAESAR self diagnosis work if there isn't a car connected? Normolly it should right?
    Are my COM-port settings right? I Have used a 12V adapter to supply the power to the multiplexer. The led is green so it should work I guess.

Thanks already.

Try hooking up to a car...
    Have you checked your com port settings?
    that could be one of the issues...

a lil more info would be useful to help you.

Good luck mate!

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Hello,

Thanks already.
    You should be able to pass the Caesar test now that you did power up the multiplexer and the green led lights up. I doubt connecting to the car makes this different. Was your com port set to COM2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some more info:

Multiplexer is connected with the COM1 on my "Real" pc. The settings of that comport are also 19200 bit rate and so on. I have supplied 12V from an adapter to the multiplexer. The multiplexers relay gives a click and the green led lits up.
    There is no car connected to the multiplexer.
    But what would be the purpose of a self diagnosis if you can't do it on yourself?

So then i runned VMWare. I noticed that VMWare creates a Virtual com port in my "Real" pc. On the VMWare player there are 2 com ports(COM1 and COM2) I've set them both to 19200 and so on. I find it strange to have 2 com-ports? I'm going to try to install a serial port sniffer and see wich com-port is the one needed foor CAESER.

Any other suggestions?
    Thanks for the reply's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe the bit rate hould be set to 115200.

L
    Last edited by lingnoi; 2nd December, 2010 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I Already tried alot. Now with the sniffer I can see that the CAESAR diagnosis button does nothing on both serial ports. Is there a way to re?nstall the SDConnect Toolkit?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I Already tried alot. Now with the sniffer I can see that the CAESAR diagnosis button does nothing on both serial ports. Is there a way to re?nstall the SDConnect Toolkit?
    I should have noticed from your photos that you are using VMware. Are you using a real com port at the host or an adapter?

I've tried VMWare and for me it was absolutely non-consistent. For one version that I created from my working Star computer hard drive with their tools I was not able to make the serial port work no matte what I tried.

Then I installed DAS on another XP VMware image and it was working although not consistently.

If there is a VMWare expert, I'd be interested on instructions to set com ports. I think on my setup I disabled all other com ports but one and I named it COM2 on both the host and the guest. I was using both the real COM port and a USB adapter (that was claimed not to work). But I only tested it without a car, just ran Caesar self tests.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well even the CAESAR test doesn't seem to work here. But that's quite normal as my sniffer can't see any traffic. However, when I open up a terminal connection in VMWare I am able to see the data on the "real" pc.

But apperantly the SDConnect toolkit doesn't use that COM-port. I also found something else. If you go to C:\program files\SDConnect Toolkit\bin\ I guess there is the server that regulates the communication. In that folder there is a file called toolkit.ini that is a file that holds the settings

Code:
    ; Skip COM ports from Part D detection (Example: SkipComPorts=3,4,5)
    ;SkipComPorts=4

; Use only this COM ports for Part D detection (Example: UseComPorts=1,2)
    ; Anforderung Fuss/Probst
    UseComPorts=2
    There it would be possible to change the com-port from the default number 2 to any other.
    I don't understand the meaning of the "Part D" and "Part D2" yet. Could there be some explanation??
    It quite sucks for me. Its the first time I try to use it and I encounter all kinds of problems.

Yet another problem is that the software is supplied already installed on a hard disk. I don't got the Star software DVD with DAS and WIS and Xentry. And that seems pretty hard to find.. If somebody could help me on to that? That would be very nice

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Yet another problem is that the software is supplied already installed on a hard disk. I don't got the Star software DVD with DAS and WIS and Xentry. And that seems pretty hard to find.. If somebody could help me on to that? That would be very nice
    Don't you get any help from your supplier if the setup is supposed to work on any computer? Isn't that the idea of VMWare.

A PC/VMWare expert should be able to explain how the setup can be made to work but if you already have a PC with a serial port, you could indeed install DAS and Xentry yourself. Which DAS version would you like to have?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I contacted the supplier. But the supplier says that CAESAR diagnosis doesn't work without a car connected. And I don't believe that.
    Does every version work? 09/2010 seems to be the most spoken of
    It doesn't matter so much. The latest is the best I guess.
    About VMWare. I also find that VMWare automatticaly installs an Eltima virtual serial port on the "Real" pc for the connection between the virtual and the real com port. Could you help me with the DAS and Xentry ?
    Last edited by Pixel123; 2nd December, 2010 at 07:43 PM.