Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Can I mount two hard drives at once?

I have replaced a dying external 1Tb eSATA HDD with a working 3Tb USB HDD. However, before the former dies altogether, I want to move all the programmes across that I can, but can the DM800HDSE cope with two hard drives at once? I wanted to ask before I attempt to mount them both and cause a problem.

If not, I understood that unmounting the old one would allow it to show up on a PC's Windows disk management system, but while the PC knows something's plugged in, the hard drive is not showing in My Computer.

I don't mind either option, but at this point, I'm not able to get my shows off my old hard drive.

Thanks.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

If you have Samba running on the DM800 then all Win PC/laptops will be able to see the drive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'm using OpenPli, but oddly, with the 1Tb drive connected to the Dreambox, I could see those files on my PC. However, with the 3Tb drive, I can't. Maybe because the latter's a USB rather than eSATA?

Under "Harddisk" with the 3Tb connected, I just get a single file ".fstab" under that folder. I can't see the USB drive's files at all. I haven't rebooted the PC, so maybe once it's refreshed it might be different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

before you changed the hard disk drive could you connect to it using dream control center (dcc) ? . its not ideal but what I was going to suggest was connecting the old hdd to the box and re mounting it . and then use dcc to connect to it , and if dcc sees the hdd and all the files in it you an then ftp the files you want to your laptop or another device . once you have saved everything you can re connect the new hdd , as I say not ideal but an option .
    i love it when a dreambox comes together.

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

3tb sounds to me to be too large think vu limits theirs to 2 tb max,so could 3tb be too much to handle for dms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'll reply more later, but is mounting two hard drives at once not a possibility?

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

i know vu can have internal and external used on same box and drives mounted with different names so both are independent of each other and recordings can be sent to ether one.mount one and install,then the other.