Register
Page 1 of 25 12345611 ... LastLast
    Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Default series 60 programming only!

I would like to have this thread for posting how to make the series 60 run better using dct. anyone who has experience tuning these engines please post what things you changed and what results you had.

Please post questions about installing dct to this thread
    http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...n-tool-112226/

dct quick refrence: lots of good information on dct

try going to the start menu/ all programs/detroit diesel/ calibration tool quick refrence
    if this doesn't work go to c:\program files \detroit diesel\calibration tool\ WCT.hlp
    Last edited by amishmafia00; 22nd April, 2011 at 09:38 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amishmafia00 For This Useful Post:

M10Performance (12th October, 2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

advance the camshaft timing helps tremendously!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ddmech View Post
    advance the camshaft timing helps tremendously!
    can you explain how to do this? just learning how to use ddct and would like to learn all i can.
    Thanks

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you can play with cold advance timing if you change the gear of the cam in the front cover of place the engine is not build for that you cannot play with the timing of a detroit beleive me
    the piston are very close of the valve if you play with timing the valve become more close and with hi rpm everything broke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

to change the timing without danger you must have gauges to check advance.we have advanced a tooth numerous times and still be in ddc specs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

ps. sorry but I dont dont know how to do it with dct.Someone else might though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

ive seen a couple of different cam gear hubs. most ive seen have no adjustment but i changed cam in a ddIV htat had a adjustable hub. anbody have part #'s or insight on this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

rebel is correct.Gears are not adjustable.We make offset timing pins to advance our camshaft timing.This is not detroit diesel procedure.Tese are custom setups.Tricky but very effective for power and economy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

why not just play with timing map in ecu?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trucks View Post
    why not just play with timing map in ecu?
    just my 2cents,but that only works on injection timing,not valve timing...
    which may or may not have an effect on fuel mileage and power,but i wonder how much can be gained by playing with injection timing alone...something to think about.
    If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on this,please,speak up...the masses await.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

i

I have probably 30 trucks out there with this done to them,and it is a proven fact it helps power and economy.It does change vale and injection timing to an extent.Changeing timing in computer would definately help both.JJust havent tried that yet.Camshaft timing method is proven fact.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Default Injection Cam/Valve timing

The timing that is controlled by the ECU is the injection timing called BOI (beginning of injection) in DCT. It's like ignition timing in a gasoline engine. Cam timing is something very different. It is a mechanical setting and I'm reasonable sure it's not changeable with the ECU in a series 60. I have degreed in many cams for gasoline engines. As a general rule when you advance the cam timing it moves the power lower in the RPM range and when you retard the cam timing it moves the power of the engine higher in the RPM range. I think the same would be true for diesel engines. ddmech I would like to know how much you are changing the cam timing. Are you using the center-line method? Gasoline engines will usually have a range something like 102 to 108 degree center-line. I'm sure you can make improvements by changing the cam / valve timing.

Emgo

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amishmafia00 View Post
    I would like to have this thread for posting how to make the series 60 run better using dct. anyone who has experience tuning these engines please post what things you changed and what results you had.

Please post questions about installing dct to this thread
    http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...n-tool-112226/
    amishmafia00

I'm very glad you started this thread. I think I see what you want to do. It would be great if there was a way to split up the existing threads on DCT, DDDL, DDRS, Cat ET, Cal Term III, etc. into 3 categories. Installing, Keys and Using the software. There is great information in all of the existing threads. I spend a lot of time reading through the threads trying to learn how to use the different softwares. I think it would be beneficial to everyone if there were a way to keep the 3 items separate. Maybe a moderator or an experienced DK'er could chime in here. At least we might be able to start 3 separate categories next time we have new software to share or maybe it's a bad ideal for a reason I haven't thought of.

I'm very interested in Series 60 performance and fuel efficiency increases whether it comes from mechanical changes or reprogramming.

Thanks,

Emgo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

we go by injector cam roller lift at top center.Have built gauges to measure lift and tdc.Different camshafts have different specs.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I am glad to see people posting here, i was a little woried there wouldn't be any response.

I was looking over calibrations we had done by other people before i found dct and I found something that scares me a little, "max_pulse_width" is set at 63.9961. on stock calibrations and ones that we've had done by others i think the most i've seen is 40. Will having the max_pulse_width set like this cause problems.

on cam timing, don't try to do it by going an extra tooth on the gear. we had one that was one tooth off when we got it, never knew it till it dropped a valve 6 months later from the valves hitting the piston

Page 1 of 25 12345611 ... LastLast