Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Backing Up and Goof-Proofing my DM500C

Hi guys,

Need some help and enlightenment on some issues.

I have been intensively reading up on the various threads to get the best out of my DM500c, and am about to take things "live", but hope to goof-proof myself first.

I recently purchased a DM500c. It originally came with a PLI image installed and everything works fine out of the box.

Being an tech enthusiast, I am interested in playing around with stuffs on the box, but am also cautious about irreversible goof-ups.

Hence, the first thing I did when I got the box was to do a backup via DreamUp using a null modem cable. After keeping the .img file in a safe place, I now have the following questions:

1. Does having this .img file comprehensively goof-proof me from any blunders that I may get myself into when playing around with the box?

In other words, is this img backup a total 100% backup of EVERYTHING on the Dm500C, including the PLI image, the bouquets/services, autoroll key files, var files and any other configuration or files that may have came with the box?

I'm not quite sure what goes into the img, but knowing this will give me the assurance I can at least reset the box back to the state I first received it by flashing a restore back using DreamUp and the null modem cable.

2. Is it at all possible to totally brick the set by goofing up anything (short of hardware failure) such that a restore via (1) above is no longer possible?

3. If I were to experiment on new images, but I wish to retain my channel setup, channel orders, naming, configuration and any other relevant configuration (please help me on this as I don't really know what to watch out for), how can I back up these things separately from the Dreamup Backup (which I understand backs up everything).

This will allow me to "transplant" the already done channel setup to another image if necessary.

Are there any other types of configuration that should also similarly be "exported" for such image testing?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
    K.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

answer to
    1. best to do with telnet for backup and restore. see the sticky thread on how to do it.
    2. its safe as long you do it correctly.
    3. use dreamboxedit to backup services, channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kerean View Post
    Hi guys,

Need some help and enlightenment on some issues.

I have been intensively reading up on the various threads to get the best out of my DM500c, and am about to take things "live", but hope to goof-proof myself first.

I recently purchased a DM500c. It originally came with a PLI image installed and everything works fine out of the box.

Being an tech enthusiast, I am interested in playing around with stuffs on the box, but am also cautious about irreversible goof-ups.

Hence, the first thing I did when I got the box was to do a backup via DreamUp using a null modem cable. After keeping the .img file in a safe place, I now have the following questions:

1. Does having this .img file comprehensively goof-proof me from any blunders that I may get myself into when playing around with the box?

In other words, is this img backup a total 100% backup of EVERYTHING on the Dm500C, including the PLI image, the bouquets/services, autoroll key files, var files and any other configuration or files that may have came with the box?

I'm not quite sure what goes into the img, but knowing this will give me the assurance I can at least reset the box back to the state I first received it by flashing a restore back using DreamUp and the null modem cable.

2. Is it at all possible to totally brick the set by goofing up anything (short of hardware failure) such that a restore via (1) above is no longer possible?

3. If I were to experiment on new images, but I wish to retain my channel setup, channel orders, naming, configuration and any other relevant configuration (please help me on this as I don't really know what to watch out for), how can I back up these things separately from the Dreamup Backup (which I understand backs up everything).

This will allow me to "transplant" the already done channel setup to another image if necessary.

Are there any other types of configuration that should also similarly be "exported" for such image testing?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
    K.
    Please do not PM me for support. Ask any questions you have in the proper support forums.
    Note: Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal
    All the files available here are kept for experimental and educational purpose only.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

As above mate telnet to back up and restore
    Take 5 mins to do the lot
    Wot area you in ,and wot channels you getting on a 500c
    Never new there was any still running.............Paul
    If your Happy with the Help push the Thanx button
    PAUL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks aBeltcb,

One problem with telnet is that I was not provided with a telnet password, so not quite sure how to go in. In addition, I tried FTP but the default root/dreambox didn't work either.

If I can't telnet in (at least for now), is the DreamUP img safe enough for me to do a restore if I goofup something?

I'll explore Dreamboxedit to try to backup services. By the way, whats the difference between services and bouquets?

Other than services and bouquets, are there any other things that I may want to backup separately before experimenting with images?

Thanks again for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by abeltcb View Post
    answer to
    1. best to do with telnet for backup and restore. see the sticky thread on how to do it.
    2. its safe as long you do it correctly.
    3. use dreamboxedit to backup services, channel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks plasterer for your assistance.

I'm in Singapore; we are still on cable :P

Quote Originally Posted by plasterer View Post
    As above mate telnet to back up and restore
    Take 5 mins to do the lot
    Wot area you in ,and wot channels you getting on a 500c
    Never new there was any still running.............Paul