Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is it illegal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default is it illegal?

Hi, i'm thinking of buying a dreambox 500s and a dish. is it illegal to use it because it's free? I heard some people were arrested for using it here in Cyprus.
    Also will i find some free servers and providers that are needed? please tell me where to look, i'm completely new at this.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

the hardware is not illegal no. however what your intending to do with it ie cardshare is highly illegal, but that does not tend to stop most people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its as legal as buying cheap dvds of your local chineese man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RuberDuck View Post
    the hardware is not illegal no. however what your intending to do with it ie cardshare is highly illegal, but that does not tend to stop most people.
    I have the same question, if its not illegal to buy and install a dreambox 500s then at what exact point does it become illegal, is is when the cccam has been enabled or when a cline has been inputted and would a receiver with an inactive cline still be illegal? With the starviews on cable it was illegal once you installed the non fta software for it, so at what exact point would we go from legal to illegal ??

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rljutter View Post
    I have the same question, if its not illegal to buy and install a dreambox 500s then at what exact point does it become illegal, is is when the cccam has been enabled or when a cline has been inputted and would a receiver with an inactive cline still be illegal? With the starviews on cable it was illegal once you installed the non fta software for it, so at what exact point would we go from legal to illegal ??
    in simple terms a dreambox is a freesat reciever, ie you can connect it to a satellite dish and pick up free channels

the moment you apply a C line in order to connect to another server to share a card, it becomes illegal

Just installing cccam doesnt make it illegal at all .. it what you do with ccccam that defines if it is legal or not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jfish View Post
    in simple terms a dreambox is a freesat reciever, ie you can connect it to a satellite dish and pick up free channels

the moment you apply a C line in order to connect to another server to share a card, it becomes illegal

Just installing cccam doesnt make it illegal at all .. it what you do with ccccam that defines if it is legal or not
    Not so sure...theres a big grey areas surrounding the installing of Softcams themselves (CCcam, MGcamd, NewCS, OSCam NewcamD etc..), it is the softcams that actually provide the facility for you to be able to CS.
    Why do you think Gemini/IHAD team, VIX team...etc have recently removed all Softcams from their built in image download servers and no longer support them or allow discussion of them on their forums ??
    It's because theyre worried about the legality of them, scared they might be prosecuted...

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by gsmtech View Post
    Not so sure...theres a big grey areas surrounding the installing of Softcams themselves (CCcam, MGcamd, NewCS, OSCam NewcamD etc..), it is the softcams that actually provide the facility for you to be able to CS.
    Why do you think Gemini/IHAD team, VIX team...etc have recently removed all Softcams from their built in image download servers and no longer support them or allow discussion of them on their forums ??
    It's because theyre worried about the legality of them, scared they might be prosecuted...
    yeah is a gray area, installation of softcam but from my point of view, installing a softcam (say cccam) and then configuring it to read your legit sly card (which you pay Sky) is ok, but once you share card out its becomes illegal ... thats my view on it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

yeah is a gray area, installation of softcam but from my point of view, installing a softcam (say cccam) and then configuring it to read your legit sly card (which you pay Sky) is ok, but once you share card out its becomes illegal ... thats my view on it
    Yeah...using Sly card in any hardware other than Slys reciever is against the terms and conditions you sign up to when you join Sly..so they can probably terminate your contract of they find out..

Not sure if they could prosecute you for pairing the card with a different reciever and just watching the services you pay for. Just because it's agaist Sly's terms and conditions doesnt make it illegal.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

This is a good read here regarding this issue.

ITgate TGM220 (swapable tuner), Dreambox 800 pro, Dreambox 500c x 2, DBox, Popbox media player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its that fine line i'm looking for, to put it another way if i had bought a dreambox 500s from the 2nd hand market and installed it in my home just to receive free channels would that be illegal if in the background it had ccam enabled with a non active cline........ My guess would be this is ok as i am not stealing a service although my receiver is capable of this should i change the cline to an active oone ............. Any thoughts ???

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I would say if you use it for free to air as you are supposed to, it's just like any other reeview box out there on the market and it will be ok.

It's when you use the added software to encrypt the pay services this is when you are stealing the c able / sat company's services which then you are breaking the law.

ITgate TGM220 (swapable tuner), Dreambox 800 pro, Dreambox 500c x 2, DBox, Popbox media player.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by andiewill View Post
    I would say if you use it for free to air as you are supposed to, it's just like any other reeview box out there on the market and it will be ok.

It's when you use the added software to encrypt the pay services this is when you are stealing the c able / sat company's services which then you are breaking the law.
    my argument on the above is once I put my legit sly card in the box and start to view, I am not breaking the law - I am watching what I am entitled to as I am paying Sly my hard earned cash to watch the channels. I am breaking Sly T&C but not the law.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my argument on the above is once I put my legit sly card in the box and start to view, I am not breaking the law - I am watching what I am entitled to as I am paying Sly my hard earned cash to watch the channels. I am breaking Sly T&C but not the law.
    and if a cline was present but not valid do you think thats legal as again nobody is stealing anything ?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

and if a cline was present but not valid do you think thats legal as again nobody is stealing anything ?
    as long as the c line doesnt provide me with "keys" to decrypt the channel then no I am not breaking the law.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't know why you keep on comming back to non active or non valid clines. What use are they anyway? If they don't work then you are not receiving/sending keys and you are not doing anything illegal.

It is even possible to use lines legaly. For instance if you have two boxes (for ex. one in livingroom and one in bedroom) and share your valid sub via a line then you are not breaking the law, eventhough you are using a linux box, a softcam and a line.

It is the sharing with other people that is illegal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast