Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation BMW E46 320d 2003 LCD Cluster on Dashboard

I have recently changed heater plugs and brake discs and pads on my BMW 320d 2003. I then used Bosch KTS diagnostics to try to reset brake pad indicator light from dash. This was unsuccesful. I then managed to reset an airbag light on the dash that was showing.
    I thought i would try to disconnect the battery to see if that would reset the brake pad warning light. After a couple of minutes i reconnected the battery to now find that the LCD display on the speedo head just says 'CODE'. Also fuel guage, rev counter and mpg counter no longer active. Speedo works fine though!
    I have no clue what has happened and could really do with some help as i'm an amateur in diagnostics.

Hopefully somebody could shed some light on my predicament

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you drove the car since the replacement? My previous car was a 96 e36 328i and both brake sensors were rubbed completely through and the light would not turn off until I drove it for about 10 miles.

As for the other issues, have you checked your owners manual for a possible unlock procedure for the cluster? I, honestly have not encountered this issue but sounds like it is going into a default mode like the alot of oem radios that need a code to work when the battery is disconnected.

I hope your issue gets resolved soon.
    poop/dood

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Hi you brake pad warning light can be deleted by switching the ignition on for about 30 seconds to a minute.
    With the other faults it sounds like you have spiked the system some how. When code is displayed on the dash, the cluster needs to coded into the car, this can be done by using NCS Expert and an INPA interface. Or using Pasoft 1.40 should do the trick. Hope this helps.

Top Poster +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Hi.try to leave the ignition ON to a longer time