Register
    DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default HOT TO MAKE CAT ENGINE BRAKE AWAY HARNESS FOR 70 PIN

Sorry it took so long guys but i finally have the time to post this here it is the cat 70 pin ecm brake away harness :
    HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED 2 MAKE IT=
    CAT 70 PIN CONNECTOR PART # 160-7689
    12 SOCKET & 7 PINS, ONE 9 PIN FEMALE CONNECTOR
    2 ALLIGATOR CLIPS AND 1 TOGGLE SWITCH, 1 FUSED LINK
    AND SOME WIRE
    9 PIN PINOUT TO 70 PIN CONNECTOR
    A = 67 BATT -
    B = 53 BATT +
    C = 50 J1939 +
    D= 34 J1939 -
    E = 43 CAN GROUND
    F= 8 J1587 +
    G = 9 J1587 -
    H & J NOT USED

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dieselman77 For This Useful Post:

ddedaniel (21st April, 2019), ke5adb (3rd September, 2016), kjunvendetta (6th August, 2021)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

THE 3 WIRES FOR J1939 POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE AND THE CAN GROUND WIRE NEED TO BE TWISTED TOGETHER TO SHIELD THE WIRES FROM INTERFERENCE AND THE J1587 WIRES NEED TO BE TWISTED TOGETHER AS WELL
    the 3 power wires from the 70 pin 48,52 & 70 all need to be put together in an aligator clip to take power from the starter also pin 70 is the ecm power up from the ignition and it needs to have a toggle switch put in line so you can power on and off the ecm when it tells you to after to calibration. pins 63 & 65 are ground wires and they need to be put together and also put in an aligator clip to ground to the starter. you should also put a fused link in the power wire just before the aligator clip just in case of a power surge from the starter or whatever you are using for power. you will also need a deutsch pin crimping tool to crimp the pins and sockets and some wire obviously to make this up all the sockets go in the 70 pin plug and all the pins go in the 9 pin deutsch female. make the power wires and ground wires about 5 feet long to maker sure you can reach power and ground with no problems some people make them 10 - 15 feet long to reach the batteries but you can get power form the starter just as easily or just use a power supply used it for both works just fine

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselman77 For This Useful Post:

kjunvendetta (6th August, 2021)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

The 70 pin plug was @ $30 from the local cat dealer and the pins were 65 cents each and the sockets were $1.25 each the cat sockets have gold tips on them they are very good worth the extra money. the 9 pin deutsch female plug i got on ebay bought 3 of them for $10 and the clips and toggle switch you can get at any local auto parts store for less than $5 the whole thing will cost you around $65 - $75 Cat wants to sell you the same harness for $465 - $475 plus tax they are crazy

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default here are some pictures of the harness

here are a few pics of the harness if you have any questions just ask and i will get back to you as soon as i can have a good one everyone and thank all of you for all the help
    Attached Images Attached Images

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Looking at making the 40 pin harness for the older trucks does anyone need that one as well ? i dont have a truck to test it on so someone will have to make it and test it for all of us and give us some feedback thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Since the 70pin ecms have 2 plugs. which one does this go in? left or right?

Where could a deutsch pin crimping tool be found?

Also I would be interested in instruction for the 40 pin ecms as well.

Thanks
    Last edited by Underpsi; 24th March, 2011 at 04:13 AM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

it goes in the right side or the ecm the oem side the left side of the ecm is the engine manufacturer can calls it the J1 connector the deutsch pin crimping tool can be found on ebay or just google it the HDT-48-00 is made by Deutsch an it cost @ $250 -$300 you can buy an aftermarket one for around $40 and it works just as good that is the one that i used to make the harness I will be buying the 40 pin connector to wire up soon i just have to find a truck with an old cat under the hood to test it out first before i post it on here i do not want to give anyone bad information or the wrong plug wiring could be bad for business burning out and ecm cat claims all you need is 4 wires to make the 40 pin but i have to do a little research the use the 6/9 pin interface plug with the T connected to it to bring the power to the ecm but it can be wired just like the 70 pin with a toggle switch i think i will starting a post just for bench cables shortly trying to get a hold of ecm connectors to wire them up and nobody wants to sell them they want you to buy a harness and those are alot of money any other questions please feel free to ask i will help you the best i can

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

you can find the crimper tool on amazon.com for $32 just go to amazon and tipe deutsch crimper tool into the search bar and it will pop up a seller names stark electric is selling a few of them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What about the 6 Pin deutsch female connector? What wires need hooked for that?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

you can wire it to fit the 6 pin as well as the 9 pin it does not make a difference which plug you use

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

WHat are the extra pins on the 9-pin connector used for that aren't on the 6-pin connector?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

there are 7 pins used in the 70 pin harness but for the 40 pin you can use the 6 pin with no problems i think you have to use the 9 pin with the do it with the 70 pin just form looking at the wiring diagram unless you can spice the can ground into the battery ground and i am not sure if that works the only way to find out is to get an ecm and try it out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

ok, We have a couple 70-Pin trucks as well as a bunch of 40-Pin and they all use the 6-Pin Connector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hi dieselman77,
    Thanks for the info! I will make the cable. I am a young mechanic from uruguay, l am keen on electronics and I would like to crank a Cat C18 engine outside the Excavator Cat 385c to check it runs ok before assamble it in the machine. I just bought the Cat scann tool and read your post.

Thanks in advance for the bypass harness.
    Regards,
    Daniel.
    Last edited by ddedaniel; 21st April, 2019 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 70 PIN ECM Harness

Thats the go been trying to find someone that has made and used one cheers Dieselman77

Quote Originally Posted by dieselman77 View Post
    Sorry it took so long guys but i finally have the time to post this here it is the cat 70 pin ecm brake away harness :
    HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED 2 MAKE IT=

CAT 70 PIN CONNECTOR PART # 160-7689
    12 SOCKET & 7 PINS, ONE 9 PIN FEMALE CONNECTOR
    2 ALLIGATOR CLIPS AND 1 TOGGLE SWITCH, 1 FUSED LINK
    AND SOME WIRE
    9 PIN PINOUT TO 70 PIN CONNECTOR
    A = 67 BATT -
    B = 53 BATT +
    C = 50 J1939 +
    D= 34 J1939 -
    E = 43 CAN GROUND
    F= 8 J1587 +
    G = 9 J1587 -
    H & J NOT USED
    Last edited by HDDMTRIZZ; 10th February, 2023 at 02:59 AM.