Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Chiminea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evastar View Post
    i got the one i liked in homebase, have to say the staff were lovely, i rang the other day and was told that there was 15% off this weekend if you had a voucher, its called 'family and friends' so i asked when i went up and they gave me a 15% off voucher

spoke to a lovely guy about putting the chiminea on decking and he advised me to get a special type of tile that was heat resistant to put it on, and explained how i should put sand in the bottom of the chiminea to stop it getting too hot. he also said not to burn charcoal, just wood or briquettes and that i should store it for the winter not just cover it; as well as getting everything for me and carrying it all out to the car

it took me about an hour to assemble and looks great, can't wait to use it now

Are you sure he wasnt hitting on you??
    That chiminea you got is almost identical to the one i have
    Didnt know about that sand at the bottom trick tho
    Just a quick note..You can use coal in urban areas in Ireland, it just has to be smokeless....but its not very suitable for chimineas anyway.. just a lump or two to keep it going.
    And as i said in a previous post i use hardwoods as much as possible..
    Look up joinery shops in your area, i'm sure they would be more than happy to give you scraps of waste timber or even some shavings!!..
    and if you have a choice go with oak.... but cedarwood, though it burns fast has an amazing aroma if you can get your hands on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

i should have thought of that yesterday, was talking to a guy that is a manager in a local joinery firm, will mention it next time i see him. good idea, thanks

would love to light it today but it's really windy and the neighbours have their washing out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evastar View Post
    thanks guys, i've decided to go for this one from homebase: Monterrey Cast Iron Chimenea from Homebase.co.uk

with the really cold temps last winter a lot of ceramic pots cracked, so decided against ceramics. when i asked around a friend of mind bought this one recently and is very happy with it. i will put tiles under this one on the decking, to stop any sparks, ashes etc damaging the wood
    thats exactly the same as i mentioned earlier in thread handy too as you can move it about when its hot

i would advise 2 people and some protection for your hnad cos they certainly get hot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12