Register
    Retired Sat TV Addict
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Default Virgin Launches 50mps Internet

Virgin launches 50Mbps broadband

Virgin Media's new XXL tier of broadband service, which offers a downstream speed of 50Mbps, has been launched.

The service, priced at ?51 per month standalone or ?31 when taken with an ?11 phone line, is 30Mbps faster than Virgin's existing top-tier service. It has been in development for over a year and represents a key plank of CEO Neil Berkett's plans for Virgin to exploit its cable technology to win in the broadband market instead of seeking to compete with Sky's premium television offering.

There will be no download caps or traffic management - where downloads are slower during peak hours - on the 50Mbps service.

Customers who already subscribe to Virgin Media's cable broadband service will need a new cable modem compatible with EuroDOCSIS 3 - a newer version of the specification that governs how data is carried over the cable infrastructure - to upgrade to the 50Mbps tier. The modem, along with an 802.11n wireless router and USB dongle, is included in the 50Mbps package.

Regards Sadiq

Read the Rules here; they apply to EveryOne.

DM800s HD
    Openbox S10
    TM500
    DM500s

90cm FortecStar dish
    Technomate 2300 motor powered by UsalS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is basically what i am paying now for an existing 10Mbitps package, but I have an old Webstar modem. I will look into updating thanks for the info.

DarMok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Really....i saw this on the news and laughed my ass off !! They will probely insert that phrase of "up to 50Mb". I have the 20Mb line in our house, and i have just done a speed test and only got 1091kbps down, but 612kbps up. its very rare that the speed is very good, so it will be a long time before i sign up to anything until they sort out the existing speeds available....I also recon that they will be introducing a 30Mb & possible a 40Mb service one day, My sons grandad is a boss on virgin, and i can remember him saying that the 255 modems can handle 47Mb, so maybe a speed upgrade will be available without a engineer calling to fit a new modem and posssible bubble your new wiring !!! LOL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wait while a few sign up for it then they will say sorry we have to cap it at certain times of the day with the way my bills have been going up i think ive been paying for this service for some time