Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Problem installing Windows 7 on hard drive!!!!

Trying to install windows 7 onto my sisters laptop but keep getting a error saying windows cannot be installed to this disk.

When i press show details it says....(Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computers BIOS menu.)Which option should this be set to? AHCI or Compatibility

I do not understand why i am getting this error as vista was installed before.
    All i have done is wiped the drive due to a corrupt vista and tried a fresh install.
    The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L300....and using a WD Scorpio Blue hard drive...Model no:WD1600BEVS..
    Hope someone can help........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

do u want any data on the disc or are you happy to format completely? if u r, i would reccommend DBAN
    i believe prob is caused by vista bootloader which is a bitch
    Fave replies from various threads

1: What the fff is all that about??? All that crap below your reply I mean, get a life mate
    2: no info on google abt the pace sv5 rang asda they have no idea what i was talking about,
    3: Your total contribution to this forum, bordering on trolling, seems to have been a collection of snipes, one liners & asterisked expletives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hy!
    I had yesterday the same problem after installing a software for diagnostics ; ) I had Win7, OS ok but software was not working, after that i tried to install XP - couldn't do that because in the configuration settings the property was set to "AHCI" don't aks me what exactly that means. for my issue, I had to take something like "ATA", then i was able to install xp again. So YOU will need that AHCI setting.
    I think it has to do something with the drivers for the HD, or partition table is written different in WIN7 than in XP - not sure!

Hope I could help ; )

best regards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by shadyback View Post
    do u want any data on the disc or are you happy to format completely? if u r, i would reccommend DBAN
    i believe prob is caused by vista bootloader which is a bitch
    I have already wiped the disc drive using the Windows 7 install disc. It will not let me format to install Windows, I just get the error.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Make sure your BIOS is up to date. PC that work in Vista to not always work in Win7.

AHCI mainly adds hot-plug used for eSata and NCQ. You should leave it on if you can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by oneman View Post
    Make sure your BIOS is up to date. PC that work in Vista to not always work in Win7.

AHCI mainly adds hot-plug used for eSata and NCQ. You should leave it on if you can.
    How do i update my BIOS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo.1484 View Post
    How do i update my BIOS?
    Go to your PC/Laptop Manufacturer. Click Support and Downloads.
    You might consider taking your Service Tag or Model for you to have the correct BIOS Update.
    But if you already reformatted your HDD, then turn on your PC/Laptop and go to Bios Setup.

Hope This will help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

UPDATE:
    The problem was the hard drive it had a bad sector...That's why i kept getting the error message.
    So i replaced the hard drive and windows installed first time.

Case Closed:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts

keep your old Har drive...u can try to fix bad sector with HDD regenerator (bundled in Hirens Boot CD)....try it and u can use your old HD as slave disk