Register
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default starview 4 usb brick

hi all

first post on this forum. i have searched this and other forums but cant find out if it is possible to upload firmware other than by usb stick. i have two sv4 boxes both of which died during firmware installation, one now says 8882 and the other is on the download screen stuck at 8%. is it possible to use a gtrom program from one of the other boxes? or can these boxes be jtagged. any help would be great.

thanks

garyb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks jok

i am using v1.05 that i downloaded from the seller of the box. and that is just one file. i am now in the position where i cant do anything unless i can force software onto the box as they are both dead. do you load the BG_LOGO file the same way as the firmware using a usb stick?

garyb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

at the moment i would be happy with it sticking at 77% at least i could load other software as it is i have no control of either box so cant do anything i need to jtag them or force the software on somehow. thanks for your help jok i will keep searching though nobody seems to know anything about these boxes.

garyb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok first i have no picture, usually these boxes show 8888 on the display then 8882 then you get the usb logo on the screen, mine stops at the 8882 and i get no logo or anything. using a usb stick directly into the box with no hub. the stick is formated on fat32. i wish i could go back to a previous version of firmware. i tried turning it on wiith the stick in place but still get 8882 and no picture, i would expect the display to count up to 100 as it does with the other starview boxes but it stays reading 8882.
    i am at work at the moment and will try all your suggestions again when i get in. thanks again jok nobody else on the techwatch forum or here seem to know how to program these boxes other than by usb but at least you are trying to help, thanks mate.

garyb

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    hi all

first post on this forum. i have searched this and other forums but cant find out if it is possible to upload firmware other than by usb stick. i have two sv4 boxes both of which died during firmware installation, one now says 8882 and the other is on the download screen stuck at 8%. is it possible to use a gtrom program from one of the other boxes? or can these boxes be jtagged. any help would be great.

thanks

garyb
    Try a search of the forum in regard to 8882.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok i am home now. there is no picture so cant access usb menu which pretty much sums up the problem. i have tried turning off/on with usb stick in but no difference still just the 8882 on display. i have searched for 8882 and nobody seems to know what to do if you get it other than send the box back to supplier. i will email supplier again and see what he says but i have a feeling he may be awkward about it. thanks jok and tony

garyb

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Suppliers are routinely exchanging 8882 boxes for new ones.

Name and shame if he doesn't play ball. Make sure you try ringing him first though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tony

i will give him every oportunity to do the honourable thing before naming and shaming but it is nice to know there is somewhere that it can be done, thanks. i am just going to try one more approach to the problem, i remember reading somewhere that after flashing with new firmware some starview boxes turn off the scart output and you have to connect via the coax so i will give that a try but i think it may be wishful thinking.

garyb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tony

i will give him every oportunity to do the honourable thing before naming and shaming but it is nice to know there is somewhere that it can be done, thanks. i am just going to try one more approach to the problem, i remember reading somewhere that after flashing with new firmware some starview boxes turn off the scart output and you have to connect via the coax so i will give that a try but i think it may be wishful thinking.

garyb

I've had 2 sf4 usb's give me an 8882 error .. let me make this perfectly clear there is no fix for this, the box its now a paperweight, because the box wont load completely there is absolutely no other way to access the usb port to update the firmware (you would haft to open the box up find the right chip and fiscally re-program the chip) .... phone who ever you got the box from and tell them you updated the firmware as its states in the instructions or on there website and the box is giving you the 8882 error, then get them to send you out a new box and they can collect the old box for a return (saves you money on postage).

if they wont exchange them then post the website and give everyone else the heads-up to avoid them in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

supplier has come good, i will post both boxes off tomorrow. i have asked them to test the replacements with the new firmware before sending in case it is a problem with a batch of boxes but i dont know how i will be able to tell if they did. am i right in thinking that they can only ship them out with fta firmware? if so i am going to have to do it. does anybody know if there are any issues with memory sticks? regarding size or shape and is it best to get the box to format stick before putting the firmware on it?

thanks all for the help.

garyb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hi guys can anyone save me from going mad? the problem is probably simple to you guys but how do i load the firmware on to the flash drive as you will have guessed im a newbie.any help would be appreciated

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by khuntyhunty View Post
    hi guys can anyone save me from going mad? the problem is probably simple to you guys but how do i load the firmware on to the flash drive as you will have guessed im a newbie.any help would be appreciated
    Why post a question like that in a thread named 'starview 4 usb brick'?

Please see forum rules.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok thanks anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by khuntyhunty View Post
    .....if u have a starview usb 4 goto thread ....this is really a great site for starview usb and read 4/4 ....if not u will need a null modem cable to attach ur box to the computer and you will need to find the lastest firmware revelant to ur box easy enuff to find by readin tho the threads ..hope this helps ....bigfella
    Last edited by bigfella; 19th December, 2008 at 03:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

supplier has come good, i will post both boxes off tomorrow. i have asked them to test the replacements with the new firmware before sending in case it is a problem with a batch of boxes but i dont know how i will be able to tell if they did. am i right in thinking that they can only ship them out with fta firmware? if so i am going to have to do it. does anybody know if there are any issues with memory sticks? regarding size or shape and is it best to get the box to format stick before putting the firmware on it?

thanks all for the help.

garyb
    Good to see your supplier has come good..
    You are right in thinking that they can only ship the boxes with FTA installed firmware due to legal reasons..
    As far as I know there aren't any issues with USB sticks I bought mine from argos for about ?5 formated it to FAT16 and put the firmware on it..
    Hope it all goes well with your new box..

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast