Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh and what Compaq presario model are you running? Just so i can have a quick read up on its capabilities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Egren71 View Post
    Oh and what Compaq presario model are you running? Just so i can have a quick read up on its capabilities.

its a compaq presario 2100, just burned ubuntu with alchohol burner. its started to load up, was busy for around 5 mins, now the screens blank???????

mick.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It normally appears to hang just after the point where it gives you the option to either try or install Ubuntu. If this is the point at which it has hung for you then be patient it is just a quirk of Ubuntu. If it was at a different point then what was the last thing to happen on screen. And did you press any buttons on the keyboard as Linux has the ability to run several Virtual screens but only display one at a time and you might inadvertently switched to a different screen.

The only other thing i can see from a quick cast around the Internet is it appears that in the BIOS you may need to disabled Legacy USB.
    Last edited by Egren71; 6th July, 2011 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

installetion runs for around 5 mins afore it hangs, then it freezes on different screens everytime`. no i didnt touch anything.

mick.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok i suggest you go into BIOS and disable Legacy USB if it isn't already. Then reboot the Ubuntu CD but instead of choosing install Ubuntu choose Try Ubuntu and see if it will boot up to a desktop. If it does you can then choose to install from the desktop.
    There is a possibility that your CD is flawed i have had that once or twice. To check that, when you start to boot up you get a icon at the bottom of the screen as soon as the cd starts to load. The icon looks like a USB memory stick and a little man in a circle, if you press enter at that point you get to choose a language, once you have done that you can choose to test the disk, this will tell you if your disk is ok. It takes a long while to run.
    Last edited by Egren71; 6th July, 2011 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cheers dude, yes I get the icons at the bottom. I will look in bios to disable.

Mick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Disk has tested without flaws.
    Memory test run and zero errors.

Tried to run from disk and it froze again.

Mick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Disk has tested without flaws.
    Memory test run and zero errors.

Tried to run from disk and it froze again.

Mick.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been having a read and a play with low spec install of Ubuntu and have found these pages

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...wMemorySystems
    [ubuntu] New Install 11.04 On old PC with Fresh HD Hanging - Ubuntu Forums
    [Bug 713512] Re: 10.10 live DVD won't run on HP Compaq Presario 2100 laptop - Cliff - com.ubuntu.lists.ubuntu-bugs - MarkMail

And it apears that Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty) is not keen on very low spec machines it apears to care how much ram you have. I don't know how much your machine has nowadays but it appears that the amount it was originally shipped with is very close to the bare minimum Ubuntu 11 will run with. And even then it will not install from a standard install CD but only from an alternative install CD.
    I can make it boot up to a desktop by booting to the USB memory stick and a little man in a circle point press enter at that point, choose a language, then press F6 and choose nomodeset so that a little x appears next to it. At that point press escape then choose tryUbuntu without installing.
    By doing this i can get to a Ubuntu desktop but have problems if i try to start Firefox etc.
    If by following the steps above you can get to a desktop but have problems starting Firefox then i suspect that your computer is not powerfull enough to run the latest version of Ubuntu. This is probably because they updated the display requirements in the latest release.

If you can get it to start as described above then you realistically have two choices, either run an older version of Ubuntu, there are stories of Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) working on your hardware or possibly a better option would be to run Lubuntu - lubuntu | light Ubuntu for faster computing which is a lightweight version of Ubuntu designed for running on older spec machines.

If you are desperate to run Ubuntu (Natty) then you will need the Alternative install CD and follow the guide at the first URL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you very much for your time and efforts.

Currently at work, the curse of the poor, I will be trying older versions as you suggest when I get home.

Mick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

g'day, downloaded and run Ubuntu 9.10 with no probs on my lappy.

can anyone suggest what may be the best option to run as the Libuntu download page just confused me, and i could only find the latest which doesnt work.

the latest Umbongo is now running on our maudes machine, from CD.

mick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

UMBONGO 10.04 now installed on my laptop.

A big thank you to Shadyback, Egren71.
    Who both worked hard I'm assisting me.

Mick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12