Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default problem with Ubuntu 10.04..........

..........i have Ubuntu 10.04 on my compaq lappy. the other day when it was first installed it was no problem, but now i cant connect to the tinterweb. everytime i boot up and click on Mozilla, the Ubuntu page comes up and 'work offline' option is highlighted in the menu. no matter what i do from here, uncheck work offline etc it will not connect, saying 'cannot find server at digital-kaos etc.

ideas please chaps.

mick.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello.
    Are you using wired or wireless ?
    Regardless of what you are what i would check first is your IP address to see if you have one.
    There are two ways to do this either graphically by going to the Up and Down Arrows by the clock, left click on it and go connection information and it should give you all your important IP information.
    Or by command prompt which in Ubuntu is called Terminal which you get to by going to Applications then Accessories then Terminal. Once in Terminal type ifconfig this is the equivalent to ipconfig in windows.
    While in the terminal type ping www.bbc.co.uk and see if you get a reply. Ctrl + C will stop the command otherwise it will go on forever.
    Depending on whether you have an IP address or not controls what the next thing to do is.
    Last edited by Egren71; 11th July, 2011 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Egren71 View Post
    Hello.
    Regardless of what you are what i would check first is your IP address to see if you have one.
    There are two ways to do this either graphically by going to the Up and Down Arrows by the clock, left click on it and go connection information and it should give you all your important IP information.
    Or by command prompt which in Ubuntu is called Terminal which you get to by going to Applications then Accessories then Terminal. Once in Terminal type ifconfig this is the equivalent to ipconfig in windows.
    While in the terminal type ping www.bbc.co.uk and see if you get a reply. Ctrl + C will stop the command otherwise it will go on forever.
    Depending on whether you have an IP address or not controls what the next thing to do is.

cheers dude, checkin it now.

mick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello.
    using wired.

terminal says-laptop :~ iconfig
    laptop encap:local loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mas:255.0.0.0

no ping returned from bbc.

mick.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok 127.0.0.1 is loopback and is always there.
    You should have an eth0 with values as well.
    If you go up to your up and down arrows and right click on it is there a tick next to enable networking.
    And if you left click on it is there an Auto eth0 option and what happens if you click on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no etho value and no up down arrows.

mick.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok try typing nm-applet into Terminal. This should give you the arrows.
    This should start the network manager applet and hopefully it will be easier to fix your problem from a graphical interface, unless you fancy doing it all from the command line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

typed in nm-applet answer is.......an instance of nm-applet is already running

** (nm-applet:1989) : warning **:<WARN> constructor(): couldnt initialize the d-bus manager

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If when you try to start nm-applet it says "An instance of nm-applet is already running" then right click on the bar at the to of the screen then and choose Add to panel and then double click on Indicator Applet from the list that pops up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this then puts a battery icon, mail icon, and speaker icon in the top bar on desktop

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strange!! it should put them there but it should also put the up and down arrows.
    Never mind, you can right click on them ad remove them from the panel if you want. Leave them there if you are happy with them there.
    You can get to where i was trying to get to by clicking on System then Preferences then Network Connections.
    Hopefully in the box that pops up, undered wired there should be an entry that says Auto eth0 and possibly never under Last Used. If there is then make sure there is a tick in both connect automatically and available to all users, then highlight it, click on edit and under IPv4 setting it should say Automatic (DHCP)
    If there isn't an entry under Wired then Click Add, Give it whatever name you want, and then put in the settings that i said should be there from above.
    Then Reboot the Laptop.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another question.
    You don't have an icon that looks like expanding concentric semi circles on your top bar. A bit like possibly an icon you would use for a remote control. It's hard for me to describe.
    The arrows that i have been looking for could look like this, with or without the exclamation mark.
    Last edited by Egren71; 11th July, 2011 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another question.
    You don't have an icon that looks like expanding concentric semi circles on your top bar. A bit like possibly an icon you would use for a remote control. It's hard for me to describe.
    The arrows that i have been looking for could look like this, with or without the exclamation mark.
    yes i do, with a red exclamation mark. kinda like a remote or wireless access type doohicky.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hooray!! That is the applet i was trying to find. Try the suggestions i gave for the up and down arrows on this icon.
    Firstly right click on it is there a tick next to enable networking.
    And if you left click on it is there an Auto eth0 option and what happens if you click on it?
    And just a a dumb question, because i have done it myself, you don't have a button on the laptop that turns of the network do you? And you haven't pressed it. It took me hours to find that one.
    Sorry for wasting your time making you look for the wrong icon, hopefully you will understand when we get it working.
    Last edited by Egren71; 11th July, 2011 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not wasted my time at all dude. I am grateful for the help and your time.

Try it tomoz, it's a bit late now.

Mick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast