Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default virus, worm, malware protection etc....

do you still require it running Ubuntu?

if so, what is the best way of full protection?

mick.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The general consensus is no it is not required in Linux. However if you share files with a windows PC or run and Webserver or Email server or anything else that interacts with windows then it is worth running a Virus scanner just to stop from spreading Windows viruses.
    There are, or were some Linux viruses see here and if you want to install an Antivirus program then ClamAV is free and available in the Ubuntu Software Centre. I was when i left the windows world for linux a little uncomfortable at not having an Antivirus program installed and so i did and do still install ClamAV on every Linux install, although it doesn't always run.
    Here is a link to an explanation about the problem of viruses on Linux.
    As with most OS's now days you are at most risk when on web sites as the web browsers launch helper programs which also help the viruses. But on most Linux's if something want's to install it needs your admin password so if you are not trying to install something and something asks for your password be suspicious. Also on Linux as most of the software you need is in it repository you are not in general installing software that you downloaded off of an unknown web site, so reduced risk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cheers dude, i currently run a dual boot system with Windows 7. when i get some cash i think i may invest in an external drive.

you seem very clued up on Linux, is this all self taught or are you in the PC industry?

mick.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello Mick
    I did work in IT Support but was made obsolete. However everything to do with Linux is self taught. I am about 3 years ahead of you. I decided to see if i could live without Windows and found that for my usage it was very easy.
    I am in my opinion OK at Linux but from some of the stuff i have read i know that there are some very clever people out there, and what is nice is that in the Linux world they are mostly happy to help without getting much back except thanks.
    Egren

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Egren71 View Post
    Hello Mick
    I did work in IT Support but was made obsolete. However everything to do with Linux is self taught. I am about 3 years ahead of you. I decided to see if i could live without Windows and found that for my usage it was very easy.
    I am in my opinion OK at Linux but from some of the stuff i have read i know that there are some very clever people out there, and what is nice is that in the Linux world they are mostly happy to help without getting much back except thanks.
    Egren
    thanks for the information always thought linux doesn't get affected with viruses

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andil View Post
    thanks for the information always thought linux doesn't get affected with viruses
    most of the no....but a door is always open..
    Technomate-Dreambox-Spiderbox

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andil View Post
    Linux can be affected by virii and malware just as easily as Windows if you let them in !

It doesn't really matter what OS you use, if you run unknown executables then you stand a good chance there's going to be something nasty in them.

Linux can be somewhat more tolerant but the majority of home users tend to run using either the root account or something with almost unrestricted access. In that situation linux is actually more vulnerable than Windows due to the ease of installing something 'extra'. Keyloggers etc, are extremely simple if you can persuade people to install them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Egren71,

A couple of very interesting and helpful links on Linux viruses.