Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Default Xsara 2003 - BSI communication fault

HI Guys!

I have a Xsara 1.6 16V here with a quite strange fault. The immo light stays on, the engine will not start.
    Checked with Lexia, and I can communicate with all of the control units, but for some odd reason the BSI will not communicate with either of them!!!

BSI can't communicate with the BSM, instrument cluster, COM2000, A/C, radio, display, airbag!

In the COM 2000 the key and transponder both are OK, but the BSI can't see the key, hence the immo light.

Faults in the BSI:

Please help me what to do

And first of all, how could I raise the driver's window, as it's down, and the car is locked in ECONOMY MODE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

About Communication problem. There are several possibilities like open/short circuits on CAN/VAN wires,faulty BSI, wrong fitted aftermarket equipment(radio etc) which is shutting down communication lines.
    So take oscilloscope and check what's happening on CAN/VAN network wires.
    You can communicate with modules because communication on DLC are on another wires than communications wires between ECU's(check carefully wiring diagram).
    How to get out of Economy mode:
    as you have Lexia you can do that this way:go to BSI- maintenance->operating mode. Set car to Show room mode. Then set it back to Customer mode. Should be OK after that.
    There is some manual procedure how to do that, but i don't know that.
    Regards
    Larue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Thanks! The car only has original equipments, so no aftermarket stuff to worry about!

I'll check for open/short circuits, but I don't think this is relevant, as the owner was driving the car, and she stopped at a red light. Stopped the engine while she was waiting, and when she tried to start the car to go away it did not start - and it's like that since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I've tried to do a BSI reset, but it did not help.

Then I've tried to get it out from economy mode to lift the window up, but in the BSI section there's no maintenance section, tried looking everywhere, and it can only tell that it's in customer mode now... Tried to activate the windows, but there's no windows option in the activation screen...

So I would need the manual Economy Mode deactivation.

In the meantime I've checked the ECU, and found the following:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Not easy fault...
    Seems like BSI is ~~~~ed up. It can't recognize power supplies,control modules.
    Just check all things(power supplies,grounds etc) before replacing.
    It might be worth try to rematch with ECU(in doubt about that, but that can't make it worse).
    Best Regards
    Larue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Thanks! Will do tomorrow - just received the security code from the owner.

Is reprograming a simple task? - just follow the instructions on the screen of Lexia?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

There is BSI programming procedure for Citroen C3, but there is a difference. As you don't have old data( according to print screens), you should manually check on car configurations parameters and options.
    Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larue For This Useful Post:

VitalyR133 (8th July, 2020)

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

looks very much like a corrupt bsi ... as for the economy mode that is only to protect the battery going flat as soon as the engine reaches around 1000 rpm it will come out of economy mode so once you have started it or if u tow it that will pull it out of economy mode

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

PROBLEM SOLVED!

In the morning I've printed out the wiring diagram for the BSI, and the VAN.
    I've checked that all the 15 (batt+), 30 (IGN), and 31 (-) points are present at the BSI connectors, in the right place.
    Checked the VAN lines at each module (COMM2000, radio, disaplay, BSM, etc...) - they were also good, no short nor open circuits.
    As all fuses were OK, and there was no sign of water ingress in the BSM and BSI, I fired up my Lexia.

Wrote down all the coding, and reprogrammed the BSI. It asked whether this unit has been coded to this car before. After choosing yes, it did a reprogramming and hey presto! Key sign disappeared, red light in the hazard switch also disappeared

Turn the key, and Xsara fired into life!

After I've check the coding, but ALL remained the same! I just checked the fault codes in all units, did the adaptation of the ECU, set the time/date and radio, went out for a test drive and it was all OK!

Thank you guys!

This shows, even if the BSI makes strange things, there's no need to jump in and replace it straight away! - most of the cases!

This problem happened after the owner tried to jump start the car - the really nice guy told me this AFTER the car started....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Larue View Post
    There is BSI programming procedure for Citroen C3, but there is a difference. As you don't have old data( according to print screens), you should manually check on car configurations parameters and options.
    Cheers!
    I canot download the file