Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wdtv live hub info

Hi bit of info please I'm looking at buying one of these western digital 1tb live hub, I know that you can get access to films and tv through the hub if your in the us but what is available to view in the uk, also is there a way of using the hub for free film download's or to view sport (like we used to do with the star view),, also what are the benefits of having one of these hub's,i know you can put all your media content on there but is there anything you can do that's not advertised, I've read somew
    here that you can put homebrew on the hub but what will this allow you to do that you couldn't do without it...
    Many thanks
    Taf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also where would be the best and chepest place to buy one they are on ebay but all of them are from america and I don't know if I have to pay import duty
    Thanks
    Taf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't believe there is any custom firmware for the Hub, th creators of custom firmware said they won't touch it as it will lose some of the stuff it does and you wouldn't ever be able to restore it.

Saying that you can still use custom movie sheets and other movie info as well as themes.

As for buying...Amazon, Currys, Pcworld etc all do it cheaper than WDC themselves.

If you havent already checked out the community forums for WDTV, give it a go, loads of info there, just use the search button to find stuff relating to hub.

WDTV Forum - WDTV Media Player - Index

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive had a live hub for 6 months now and i cant speak highly enough of it.

It plays everything divx,xvid,iso files, avchd files, video_ts files and the most important for myself mkv files,I was sick of disks lying around everywhere and the quality of playback is superb no more glitching ever!

My mp3 collection is on it and connected to my amp sounds great and i can listen to the radio on it clear as a bell
    (i,m sad pete waterman on a friday night, smooth radio)
    Its a nice piece of kit there is better but more expensive but with TB of hard drive included its a bargain
    Dreambox 600 HD SE
    Orbital 1m dish
    Technomate TM-2600
    buggered if i know LNB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaapster View Post
    Ive had a live hub for 6 months now and i cant speak highly enough of it.

It plays everything divx,xvid,iso files, avchd files, video_ts files and the most important for myself mkv files,I was sick of disks lying around everywhere and the quality of playback is superb no more glitching ever!

My mp3 collection is on it and connected to my amp sounds great and i can listen to the radio on it clear as a bell
    (i,m sad pete waterman on a friday night, smooth radio)
    Its a nice piece of kit there is better but more expensive but with TB of hard drive included its a bargain
    Cheers m8 yea does look a good bit of kit will it play blue ray also,

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

I have the wdtv live connected to my nas an pc. These are great an basically the same. The hub has some more bells and whistles but the wdtv will play anything thrown at it.

.mkv files are hd. So if you download a 1080p or 720p mkv rip then your getting full quality from it. These are ripped feom bluray but if you mean physical disc then there is no bluray drive on them.

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anybody know if it's possible to make different film categories oe horror, kids, action and so on,
    Oh and if anybody is interested in buying the wd live hub 1tb I found it in comet for ?149.99 that's ?40 cheaper than curry's or pc world but I think it's only available in store as I couldn't find it on there website