Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Just bought my first mac

i have just ordered a new iMac, i have never had a mac before but they have always appealed to me. What do i do first? is there any guides to using your first mac.

What are the main differences with the mac and windows pc?

Thanks
    Andy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

no such thing as a windows pc.. a windows capable pc is more powerful for less money.. thats the MAIN difference
    Fave replies from various threads

1: What the fff is all that about??? All that crap below your reply I mean, get a life mate
    2: no info on google abt the pace sv5 rang asda they have no idea what i was talking about,
    3: Your total contribution to this forum, bordering on trolling, seems to have been a collection of snipes, one liners & asterisked expletives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

i am looking for a space saving Computer so i went with the imac. you not a fan then shady?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

not of underpowered overpriced computers/tablets/phones im not plenty of space saving pcs out there

1: What the fff is all that about??? All that crap below your reply I mean, get a life mate
    2: no info on google abt the pace sv5 rang asda they have no idea what i was talking about,
    3: Your total contribution to this forum, bordering on trolling, seems to have been a collection of snipes, one liners & asterisked expletives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

you got any recommendations buddy? as i still have time to cancel ;-)
    Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. I have the only gun on board. Welcome to Con Air.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Imac rocks m8, get it !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Do i have to download apps for it like an iphone or ipod? or are there most programs like on a pc that has windows installed?
    Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. I have the only gun on board. Welcome to Con Air.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Hacked apps all over the net m8 :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So yes its just apps that i get similar to my iphone etc? or do i get programs same as my Windows pc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You'll get every prog you need from the net m8, apps & progs, check out sinfuliphone.com :-), for starters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

i have had this imac for a few hours and i dont like it at all..cant get the proggys i want that i had on my old pc :-(

I cant even get to grips with any other ftp proggy to use as i have always used flashfxp and all the others i have tried are shite

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

send it back.. buy a pc

in fact.... im sure somebody advised against macs somewhere else.. maybe it was in this thread.. cant for the life of me remember who it was tho...
    Last edited by Shady; 10th January, 2012 at 10:59 PM.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    608 Posts
    any information provided is for educational/experimental purposes only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andy211081 View Post
    So yes its just apps that i get similar to my iphone etc? or do i get programs same as my Windows pc?
    You can install Windows on a mac using Boot Camp. And then boot either to Windows or Mac OS on startup... If that makes you feel better. So not all is lost if for whatever reason you feel alienated by Mac OS but have always wanted a Mac...

Also, just like dell_xps says- Both apps and progs, Mac OS is a full OS, not like iOS which is a mobile OS with just common watered down features... in most cases both Windows/Mac use the same program(like Google Earth, FireFox or VLC player etc).. if stuck just search for the type of prog you want, almost any program Windows has, the Mac the has the same or a very equivalent program. Also in Mac OS snow leopard and upwards there is the App Store, so you can download apps and run them right on the OS

The best simple tip for a first time mac user is understanding the TASKBAR at the top of the screen.. it changes depending on what prog you are working in. So firefox's options etc will appear in the taskbar(not in the window box, like in a Windows OS).. this can be confusing when you don't know this because people assume when wanting to set preferences, they think there is no options etc and they're using a watered down version of the windows counter part. They don't realize how the TaskBar changes when progs are in use. So if you have 2 programs running, whatever one you are clicked on will dictate what settings are in the Taskbar.... etc from Firefox to VLC, the Taskbar will instantly change to VLC Taskbar, then when you click back on the Firefox window, it changes back again to Firefox taskbar

Also on other quick tip, close progs from the Taskbar by quitting them. Hitting the red ball in the window corner puts them into standby mode.(again most people think this closes the prog completely)... you can tell what is still running by looking at the dock, if the icon has a small arrow under it.

EDIT- , I was in the middle of typing this up when you posted..... FTPing is easy on a mac, just open Finder click connect(on taskbar), then server, then enter ip addy to connect(if I remember correctly.. not on mac at the minute)
    Last edited by Sirus; 10th January, 2012 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Once you have had a mac you wont go back, Windows sucks, fact !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast