Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by potrobber View Post
    I got a genuine for 309 delivered. 2 year warranty UK supplier Wos. I have considered a clone but duo clone is unproven I wouldn't get one at the minute imo would wait atleast another 6 months for problems to be ironed out.

what problems m8 there does not seem to be any

or if you know of some please list them as im trying to find some
    Have you found any yet? LOL

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
    800se with 320gb hd
    NewEnIgma2 SAT4FUN

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmjc0112 View Post
    Have you found any yet? LOL

well that depends, there seems to be a lot and i do mean a lot of clones going down with PSU failures, not not just failures some seem to be violently failing which could be a serious fire hazard.

so the choice is yours buy a original or risk your house burning down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although I have owned a clone 800 se and no doubt will own another in the future I think its important that people realise that they are not manufactured to bs or eu standards thus are more likely to fail.
    I do have sympathy for those that have bought a clone tho as I would be gutted if problems occurred considering the out lay of 200 quid.

800se with 320gb hd
    NewEnIgma2 SAT4FUN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi, I have a Vu+ Duo clone and it is stuck on "Starting..." and still I can't resolve that issue. any idea please?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RuberDuck View Post
    well that depends, there seems to be a lot and i do mean a lot of clones going down with PSU failures, not not just failures some seem to be violently failing which could be a serious fire hazard.

so the choice is yours buy a original or risk your house burning down.
    This is really why I would not risk a clone I've got others in the house that are much more important than saving ?100. I think its a gamble you could be lucky and get one that lasts for years problem free or one that starts a fire! I personally wouldn't risk it.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ricescooper View Post
    This is really why I would not risk a clone I've got others in the house that are much more important than saving ?100. I think its a gamble you could be lucky and get one that lasts for years problem free or one that starts a fire! I personally wouldn't risk it.
    The same could be also said about any electrical appliance in your household from sat receiver to TV to fridge to washing machine any are prone to failure at anytime, Nothing is guaranteed to last forever be it original or clone

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digicon View Post
    The same could be also said about any electrical appliance in your household from sat receiver to TV to fridge to washing machine any are prone to failure at anytime, Nothing is guaranteed to last forever be it original or clone
    yep 100 percent true and i would agree, however there is a scary amount of quite violent PSU failures being reported on this and many other forums. not even you can say thats nothing to be concerned about. The fact is these units have almost no quality control, they are not bound by the same rules and regulations of other manufacturers and quite frankly once they have your cash they almost always dont want to know about problems you encounter.

thats more than enough to dissuade me from purchasing one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by potrobber View Post
    I got a genuine for 309 delivered. 2 year warranty UK supplier Wos. I have considered a clone but duo clone is unproven I wouldn't get one at the minute imo would wait atleast another 6 months for problems to be ironed out.

what problems m8 there does not seem to be any

or if you know of some please list them as im trying to find some
    when i asked wos there warranty was told it was only one year?
    am i correct on that must also say asked question on ebay too.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zooloo66 View Post
    when i asked wos there warranty was told it was only one year?
    am i correct on that must also say asked question on ebay too.
    The UK has a opt out where by retailers only need to provide a 12 month / 1 year warranty on electrical items as standard,this can be extended at the retailers discretion, in europe this is a mandatory 24 months / 2 years by law.
    Last edited by RuberDuck; 7th June, 2012 at 12:53 AM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

yep 100 percent true and i would agree, however there is a scary amount of quite violent PSU failures being reported on this and many other forums. not even you can say thats nothing to be concerned about. The fact is these units have almost no quality control, they are not bound by the same rules and regulations of other manufacturers and quite frankly once they have your cash they almost always dont want to know about problems you encounter.

thats more than enough to dissuade me from purchasing one.
    I've seen reports of the similar if not the same failures with original boxes. I reported in another thread here that I could see that there were PSU differences, the main visible one being that the heatsink on one the components that's reported blowing in the clone is much smaller.

At the end of the day the clones are built to budget so you takes your chance and hope for the best I suppose. I was considering getting a clone Duo but the reported problems has put me off for the time being as my dm800se clone works faultlessly.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I've seen reports of the similar if not the same failures with original boxes. I reported in another thread here that I could see that there were PSU differences, the main visible one being that the heatsink on one the components that's reported blowing in the clone is much smaller.

At the end of the day the clones are built to budget so you takes your chance and hope for the best I suppose. I was considering getting a clone Duo but the reported problems has put me off for the time being as my dm800se clone works faultlessly.
    yeah but come on the clones have a far higher failure rate and most go out with a alarming pop. for example one Australian retailer i know has sold in excess of 3000 Vu+ Duo's in the last 2 year and only replaced 5 psu's. compare that to the almost daily posts of people who have had clones go bang and try to justify that as a acceptable failure rate.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

You pay your money you take your choice at the end of the day but as i stated earlier this can happen on any electrical item. Take for instance the Sony LCD 'W' series debacle over 1.6 million recalled over dodgy components and fear of the TV emitting smoke and harmful gas.

I wonder if these where made in china and at the same factory where the Duo's are made LOL

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

yeah but come on the clones have a far higher failure rate and most go out with a alarming pop. for example one Australian retailer i know has sold in excess of 3000 Vu+ Duo's in the last 2 year and only replaced 5 psu's. compare that to the almost daily posts of people who have had clones go bang and try to justify that as a acceptable failure rate.

Can't argue with those figures to be honest.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123