Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vu+ Duo Newbie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it was off the wholesaler website aliexpress, basically the guys that supply ebay etc in bulk but I use them for my own business stock so got a trade discount. i'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt to get it sorted before I name and shame

on a side note, it looked as though the components that blew where around about the power supply in the back left hand corner and i've read a few places that the power supplies are a bit dodgy on certain boxes, could this be something I can replace if I don't get a refund? I'm handy with soldering/electronics etc so could handle the fitting if it's relatively basic.

cheers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Paypal are ~~~~ing useless too, fingers crossed for ya though m8,
    will you buy a genuine one now ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well if I can't get a refund i'll prob try and fix it myself if poss, couldn't really afford a real one so I think i'll be back to my openbox s11 if not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

m8 sorry to here about your box cant see why you wont get refund there is bound to be more than one faulty box

i have had a lot of clones now and open every one before switching on to check all connections are pushed home

ive had 2 non starters and one box came back after a week all due to plug connections inside not being connected right all boxs are working ok now but as a rule now i open them up to check before letting them go

i dont know if this is happening in transit or just build quality but i have found a few more with loose connections from psu to the main board and the 2 none starters this connection was not connected at all

so please everyone reading this if you own a clone open it and check all wire connections are pushed fully home

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm going to suggest to the seller that I can open it and have a look for anything obvious. I don't really want to just go ahead and do it in case he blames that for the malfunction but fingers crossed its a simple(ish) fix! does anyone know where to find a good PSU? thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

m8 open it and check what i say about the main lead from psu to main board and all other connections

i cant stress this enough now for anyone else thats getting or owns a clone box

there is no security seal on them anyway and you are allowed to open to fit hdd so will do no harm to have a look

goldwafers do psu for around 50 quid
    Last edited by potrobber; 20th April, 2012 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Check link I posted earlier, guy selling a Vu duo on eBay m8.
    ?51 for a power supply :-(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hi, so opened it up, it looks like there was a short between the hot/cold transformer and the heatsink on the hot side of the power board. there was a small piece of plastic blown off the heatsink screw guard but I don't know if that caused the short or was a result of the short. either way it looks like i'm getting a replacement PSU shipped over by DHL so should have it by the end of next week. I'll give that a bash and let you know how I get on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Doddle to fit a power supply on the vu m8, take you 5 mins tops :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah I got it out in a couple of minutes too. to be honest I thought it was one of the capacitors that went with the bang but I suppose a 240v short would sound the same! fingers crossed it hasn't blown anything on the mainboard though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Mines went on my genuine box, posted pics of it, have a search for it, see the mess of that, main board was ok :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got a bit of good news, the seller agreed that it looks like the power board was damaged in transit so is sending a replacement to me free of charge, with the promise of a refund of the box if it still doesnt work. Hope it does though!

1 question though, my box came with a 2 pin EU plug on the power cord, can anyone recommend a 2 pin EU to 3 pin UK adapter as the only ones I can find are rated 1A and i believe the box draws 6A? I would just cut the plug off and wire on a UK one but I'm conscious that i may need to return the box for a refund if the new PSU doesn't work. Cheers, Mark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

3amp fitted on my Vu Duo and Ultimo m8.
    Have you not got an old cable lying about, same cable they used on video recorders, epson printers, old type radio etc etc, check the fuse in it, change it to a 3 amp, keep the lead you got intact :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no worries, did yours come with a UK plug or are you using an adapter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I have a genuine VU's m8, they come supplied with a UK 5 amp plug, but I always change the fuse to 3 amp :-)

Adaptor plugs may I add :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast