Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you look at the last pic (little blurry), the top heat sink, the wire legs on the right have rust residue. is this normal in a clone box? clone = refurb? should i be worried at all?

thanks.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

In the last pic towards the right on the PCB what model / rev does it say?

Looks like a load of advertising bollocks to me as it looks the same as the PSU I have in my clone but I await being told something different

You can compare it to my un-updated/old version that I have in my clone here http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...u-pics-276232/ The last pic of mine shows the model / rev number of mine.

I think these PSU must double as small personal umbrellas back in China, when they start to rust they trade them in and they end up in the boxes we buy
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 28th June, 2012 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im so glad you said mentioned about the rust! i was bricking it there hehe, it must be common then. i would say its the standard psu then, if im allowed i can post a link to where i bought it from?

how long have you had your unit for? have you had any bother with it?

thanks

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fresher View Post
    im so glad you said mentioned about the rust! i was bricking it there hehe, it must be common then. i would say its the standard psu then, if im allowed i can post a link to where i bought it from?

how long have you had your unit for? have you had any bother with it?

thanks
    You're not allowed to post a link to the supplier but searching for the words NEW VERSION UPGRADED PSU pulls up only 1 site so I can sort of guess.

I've had mine now for only a couple of weeks and to date I've not had any problems, touch rusty components on my PSU

I have to admit I initially hated the box as I'd been so used to my dm800se which just worked, no questions, no dramas. Most of that was just an over-reaction to the fact that the box was different.

The fan in mine was uber-noisey so I've replaced that and now have it thermally controlled so it's whisper quiet.

I now also know my way around ViX and now really like the box. There are stil things that catch me out so for example the other day I found that in order to change channels from a bouquet I'd need to press the OK button twice else the channel would zap back to the previous when I exited the bouquet, again this was a setting to do with previewing the channel. I also had a problem with the order of the programs when viewing a channel program listing, again a setting change was all that was required.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what size is the fan? i would like to change mine too.

well it sounds like the box is fine then, i didnt do much reading up on it prior to purchase, it looked like it done mostly everything! im yet to set mine up, need to get the motorised dish up first. is there anywhere i can find help on installing motorised dishes? ie which satellite to allign it to upon setup? me and my dad will be setting it up, hes on the understanding that we point it to the astra satellite?

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

if they are the pictures of your box its only a matter of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

only a matter of time before what? do tell!

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

psu goes,multiple posts of non working vu duo clones with wet rusted boards that have given up working.buy cheap pay twice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

to be honest when i bought them and when i seen the price of the new ones i thought i should have maybe bought them instead, sorta regretting it now, going to start saving up for new ones, i know you cant call a time scale on these things but how long is the average life span of a clone?

thanks for the input

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

one poor member had a box for days.
    http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...n-help-271538/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you arent breeding much confidence into me here is that just a rare case? are they THAT bad?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

TBH there are lots of people with clones that are working fine but there have been a recent spate of people whose clones have died.

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

think all the boards had stains because of stored conditions over in china,that is why i asked if that was your photos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

how many people on here have had clone psu faults ?

im very interested as i have had a brave few clones and not one psu fault yet

i keep reading posts about all these people having psu faults how many people on this site have a box thats not working is it more than 5?

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

no idea how many in total but photos like that i can see the figure rising,yet been the word.any sparks or techie will say all contacts need to be good and clean,not rusted,not fit for use i say=safety first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast