Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default 2005 International DT466 with Loss Power when in High Speed

Hello DK's

I'm currently working on a 2005 International DT466 with loss of power when in high speed or quick acceleration. Also the 40A fuse in the battery box that goes to the injector control Modular is hot and blown after a day of driving. We just recently did a PM with new oils, fuel filter and new air filter.

The owner of this truck has already replaced the injector pressure control pump about 1-2 years ago from the look of the rust color of the pump. The pump at the dealer run about 1300.00 and I'm not sure if this is the problem and do not want to replace it without knowing if the pump is bad. Does anyone here have this similar problem before? I'm working to activate service max and at this time I do not know any code active. Any suggestions or solutions be helpful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Biggame520 View Post
    Hello DK's

I'm currently working on a 2005 International DT466 with loss of power when in high speed or quick acceleration. Also the 40A fuse in the battery box that goes to the injector control Modular is hot and blown after a day of driving. We just recently did a PM with new oils, fuel filter and new air filter.

The owner of this truck has already replaced the injector pressure control pump about 1-2 years ago from the look of the rust color of the pump. The pump at the dealer run about 1300.00 and I'm not sure if this is the problem and do not want to replace it without knowing if the pump is bad. Does anyone here have this similar problem before? I'm working to activate service max and at this time I do not know any code active. Any suggestions or solutions be helpful.
    If the 40 Amp fuse is blowing you have a problem with your clean power and grounds I would run new clean power and grounds eliminating the connectors at the starter and the battery. Also we have been replacing the regular fuse holder with a maxi fuse holder the bigger style fuse disapates the heat better. I would try to get service max to work so you can check codes and perform the ECM tests like the air managment test to see if the turbo is operating correctly.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I agree with joes, also check the intake manifold pressure sensor / boost pressure sensor.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Replace the fuse holder and
    Bypass the following power + GROUND connectors

2-3 pin at the battery

2-2 pin at the starter

3 pin top left side of engine near firewall

They all sometimes get hot and melt the connector causing low power/no start isssues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

As of now I have replaced the clean power and negative cable. I managed to get service max to work but I'm having trouble with service max detecting the engine. I have selected Pre Maxxforce engines DLCII I6 (2004-2006) and even went to tool and change the interface to Nexiq J1939. But it would not connect.. now sure why. I'm still unable to find if there is any code.

Still having the same problem... Also truck has a slow start that i think it may be a injector o-ring leaking. I have try to used road ranger programs to scan for code but no code found. I have friend came by and he said is the injector pressure pump on the driver side. He saying its malfunction and cause the truck to lose fuel pressure to the injector and cause power loss. Any ideas??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Check fuel pressure, you don't need ServiceMaxx to check that, use a guage. It should be 50 psi or better, if it is below, don't replace the fuel pump just yet, on the back of the head on the left side is the fuel pressure regulator, I have seen inj O-ring pieces get stuck in it and you loose fuel pressure causing poor acceration and low power, if there is nothing in it you can adjust it for testing by turing the screw in the middle of it, if pressure increases replace regulator, not pump. Alot of pumps have been replaced because of a bad regulator.
    A DAY YOU DIDN'T LEARN SOMTHING NEW IS A WASTED DAY.

Please don't pm me for keys, that is what the forum is for.

If it helped, please use the thanks button, if thanks isn't enough use the scales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RSwire View Post
    Check fuel pressure, you don't need ServiceMaxx to check that, use a guage. It should be 50 psi or better, if it is below, don't replace the fuel pump just yet, on the back of the head on the left side is the fuel pressure regulator, I have seen inj O-ring pieces get stuck in it and you loose fuel pressure causing poor acceration and low power, if there is nothing in it you can adjust it for testing by turing the screw in the middle of it, if pressure increases replace regulator, not pump. Alot of pumps have been replaced because of a bad regulator.

This is 2005 truck so fuel press reg is instaled inside fuel filter)

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

check engine with MD32 software from here .

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default DT ENGINE

As of now I have replaced the clean power and negative cable. I managed to get service max to work but I'm having trouble with service max detecting the engine. I have selected Pre Maxxforce engines DLCII I6 (2004-2006) and even went to tool and change the interface to Nexiq J1939. But it would not connect.. now sure why. I'm still unable to find if there is any code.

Still having the same problem... Also truck has a slow start that i think it may be a injector o-ring leaking. I have try to used road ranger programs to scan for code but no code found. I have friend came by and he said is the injector pressure pump on the driver side. He saying its malfunction and cause the truck to lose fuel pressure to the injector and cause power loss. Any ideas??
    The best thing that you could do is find a good International DT engine tech and let him fix it. You could spend weeks chasing this problem if you do not know what you are looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this a DT466E engine ? if so what is your ICP pressure at during cranking ? You need 500 psi to start the engine anything less motor wont start or will lose power. could be a bad IPR with long cranks and loss of power on a load . Or it could be the stand alone tubes O rings replaced a crap load of those and IPR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does anyone has diagnostics for 2005 DT466? This will be very helpful for me right now.
    Have you got codes so others can help. You should search forum for repair manual.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

When dealing with the DT466 engines, make yourself a tool using brass fittings and attach a Very high oil pressure gauge. The tool should have a open/close position lever where you can supply the shop air supply. Set it up were you can connect to the high oil pressure hose coming out of the high oil pressure pump for the injectors. Remove the high oil pressure hose form the cylinder head and attach it to the tool you made and have the lever on the close position. Try to start the engine and take a reading of the pressure. Make sure the pressure is within specs. Now re-attach hose to the cylinder head and disconnect it from the pump. Attach the hose end to the tool you made and put the lever on the open position. Supply shop air pressure. If you here excessive air release, remove valve cover. You might see which injector o-rings are leaking. I tell you this because you can't always rely on the computers.

P.S. if you set up your tool correctly you can use it also for the cat engines with the same set up. HEUI's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Here is what I did. I went ahead and remove the IPR end and plug it up and insert a high pressure gauge on the other of the pump and the gauge show only 2900 psi. The spec should be around 4000psi. Took me awhile to get the customer to approve, but when i finally replaced the high pressure pump with new fuel pump and IRP the truck ran like a champ. For the 40a IDM fuse being hot and melted, It had a bad relay and I also replaced the old 40amp with a maxi fuse and holder. Customer had the truck back since Monday... so far I have not hear back so i guess its fixed. Thanks everyone great advices and help. BTW the cost of the pump was $1293.00 rebuilt from Western Truck Exchange in Los Angeles. I was told that dirty oil is the common cause for this pump to fail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    352 Posts

Here is what I did. I went ahead and remove the IPR end and plug it up and insert a high pressure gauge on the other of the pump and the gauge show only 2900 psi. The spec should be around 4000psi. Took me awhile to get the customer to approve, but when i finally replaced the high pressure pump with new fuel pump and IRP the truck ran like a champ. For the 40a IDM fuse being hot and melted, It had a bad relay and I also replaced the old 40amp with a maxi fuse and holder. Customer had the truck back since Monday... so far I have not hear back so i guess its fixed. Thanks everyone great advices and help. BTW the cost of the pump was $1293.00 rebuilt from Western Truck Exchange in Los Angeles. I was told that dirty oil is the common cause for this pump to fail.
    Its good when you let us know the results after solving the probelm, we all learn from it.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

FYI there is a SFN document about hot melted fuses or blown fuses, replace the interconnect cables, see attached

part # for cables

Power
    3594396c92

Negative
    3594367c91
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Share on!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast