Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wireless Bridge via Routers - Dreambox 500s

I have a Dreambox 500s with a wired ethernet connection to the router.

I want move the Dreambox to another room but can't move the router to be alongside it since other equipment is wired to the router. I was going to get a Vonets Wireless Bridge to make this possible.

However, I've been reading around the subject and maybe I could 'manufacture' a wireless bridge via a spare router I have that I'm currently not using?

So have the main router (MR) and wirelessly connect another far router (RF) to it. Then connect my Dreambox 500s wired to FR.

Anyone tried this? Vonets appears neat, but I'd like to see if I can get an non-Vonets solution up-and-running!

Regards, BromsgroveBhoy

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

Home plugs work like a dream mate check them out
    Or you could always bridge from your wireless laptop to the dream
    Hope this helps ............Paul
    If your Happy with the Help push the Thanx button
    PAUL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go with the homeplugs, make sure you get a fast one at least 200 Mbits/s, that's if you want to use it for streaming movies from your computer.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This was a post by a member on a different forum regarding this sort of thing, take a look at DD-WRT site
    After messing about with two of the crappy things, which cost over 20 quid each I finally came up with a much better solution to go wireless.

Virgin Media give crappy D-Link wireless routers away with their broadband, naturally a lot of people paying for really fast internet want a decent router, so they buy a new one and stick their crappy D-Link on eBay. In the last few days I've seen them selling for as cheap as ?7 buy it now, heres a quick link to one I just found which is selling for ?10 + P&P [ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/D-LINK-DIR-615-100-Mbps-WIRELESS-N-ROUTER-/260713433532?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=it em3cb3bb49bc]D-LINK DIR-615 100 Mbps WIRELESS N ROUTER on eBay (end time 27-Jan-11 13:44:02 GMT)[/ame]

Like many others I upgraded my wireless router last week and was about to stick my D-Link on ebay before I thought up the idea of trying to convert it to a wireless bridge. I downloaded some open source Firmware for the device called DD-WRT www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router | Unleash Your Router and flashed the router, I then followed this guide Repeater Bridge - DD-WRT Wiki to set the router up to be it's own wireless bridge and wireless repeater, feeding off my main router's wireless.

Now I am the very happy owner of a wireless N bridge which feeds my VU+ Duo in the other room - not only that but I have 4 extra available ethernet ports now for my xbox and media PC. I've also been watching 1080p movies streamed from my NAS drive absolutely perfectly whereas is was all but impossible using the normal wireless bridges.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If the second router supports client mode or can use DDWRT or Gargoyle firmware then it is the best option and wont cost you anything.

I use a TP-Link 741 router configured in client mode using Gargoyle software.Its excellent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Many thanks for this. I'll take a look. Regards, BromsgroveBhoy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smoggie View Post
    This was a post by a member on a different forum regarding this sort of thing, take a look at DD-WRT site
    After messing about with two of the crappy things, which cost over 20 quid each I finally came up with a much better solution to go wireless.

Virgin Media give crappy D-Link wireless routers away with their broadband, naturally a lot of people paying for really fast internet want a decent router, so they buy a new one and stick their crappy D-Link on eBay. In the last few days I've seen them selling for as cheap as ?7 buy it now, heres a quick link to one I just found which is selling for ?10 + P&P D-LINK DIR-615 100 Mbps WIRELESS N ROUTER on eBay (end time 27-Jan-11 13:44:02 GMT)

Like many others I upgraded my wireless router last week and was about to stick my D-Link on ebay before I thought up the idea of trying to convert it to a wireless bridge. I downloaded some open source Firmware for the device called DD-WRT www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router | Unleash Your Router and flashed the router, I then followed this guide Repeater Bridge - DD-WRT Wiki to set the router up to be it's own wireless bridge and wireless repeater, feeding off my main router's wireless.

Now I am the very happy owner of a wireless N bridge which feeds my VU+ Duo in the other room - not only that but I have 4 extra available ethernet ports now for my xbox and media PC. I've also been watching 1080p movies streamed from my NAS drive absolutely perfectly whereas is was all but impossible using the normal wireless bridges.
    Cheers smoggie - I'll have a go and let you know how it goes. Regards, BromsgroveBhoy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hi mate bromsgrove not to far away from me

anyway i have a dlink 615 as my main router downstairs running ddwrt in ap mode
    and 2 identical routers upstairs connected to 2 dm500s also running ddwrt but different settings on the 2 upstairs
    let me no if you need any help i have a few tuts here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NICETOBENICE,

In the end I never attempted to set-up the wireless bridge. I went the Vonets route for a second DM 500s and it works a treat. Probably helps that the Vonets device is probably 5-6 metres from the router with 'little in the way'.

Thanks for the offer anyway - I may be in touch.

Regards, BB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

thanks mate i did have some vonets bridge but had difficulty connecting due to 4 story house
    i have just purchased 5x devolo power adapters so that will sort my problem out i 'm sure