Register

Thread: Garage Lighting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Garage Lighting

Im cleaning out my garage (its about 30 foot away from my house) and im thinking of putting a light source in there, was thinking of just running an extension lead up the path to the back of the garage and knocking a brick out.. anyone got any ideas on what kind of lights i can put in there running of a extension lead cheers..

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i have visioned u running down ur garden with an extension leaded lamp

if u have a proper job or hardware store near u i would go and get myself 40ft of cable, plug, light switch and a normal standard light fitting or a strip-light might be better depending on size of the garage

also u want to bury ur cable from the house to the garage and run the cable up the garage and go through under the roof
    Last edited by Cod3waX; 5th September, 2012 at 06:13 PM.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts

this doesn't sound like a good plan m8

get some wire you can bury, or put some normal wire inside a pvc pipe and bury that.

drill a hole through the brick, run the conduit through the brick and install light switch / electrical outlet right there on inside of garage. silicone / seal it well.

then the rest is easy....you can use some nice conduit to cover the wiring if you don't want to fish it in the walls.

after all that is done....i am pretty ghetto fabulous - i just bought a male 110 plug, attached it to my wire and plugged in a socket in my basement that had no load on it. the proper way is to add breaker to panel. my situation was only for a dog house though - one fluorescent light and a small heater.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im not able to bury any cable really unless i dig up half the public footpath as it runs behind the garage and its all tarmac,i just wanted to light the garage only for an hour or so a few times a week as im putting some qym equipment,so im looking for a few strip lights if i can get them that just plug in to an extension.. cheers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Can you send the cable overhead ?? If its possible you can use some cetenary wire to provide a galvanised overhead support wire, then attach your extension lead to that. then you have no need to run the cable everytime you need to use it. Apart from that you can use loads of 12volt led lamps and power them with a 12 car battery. But ideally a overhead cable is the only option if you cannot bury a cable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Before running any cable outside make sure you have an RCD rated at 30ma trip current or less.If you use an extension lead make sure it a good quality one with at least 1.5mm cable to account for the volt drop.
    If you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine

V.I.P. Member
    Meatheadshire (Between London and Scotland)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,773 Posts

Emerican way:-

Quote Originally Posted by indienick View Post
    i just bought a male 110 plug, attached it to my wire and plugged in a socket in my basement that had no load on it. the proper way is to add breaker to panel. my situation was only for a dog house though - one fluorescent light and a small heater.
    Inglish way:-
    Quote Originally Posted by firestorm View Post
    Before running any cable outside make sure you have an RCD rated at 30ma trip current or less.If you use an extension lead make sure it a good quality one with at least 1.5mm cable to account for the volt drop.
    The longer the run the more the volt drop.
    If you use thin cable and stick a cement mixer on it, it will cause the motor to burn out. - something to do with back EMF

Was Banned For Being Certifiably Insane and Stupid

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,773 Posts

bump, what did you do -two croc clips across a rsailroad line

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meat-Head View Post
    Emerican way:-

Inglish way:-

The longer the run the more the volt drop.
    If you use thin cable and stick a cement mixer on it, it will cause the motor to burn out. - something to do with back EMF
    Surely if you plug a large motor into a supply with a drop in voltage, it'll draw more current(amps) and pop the fuse or worse, burn out the cable!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get some swa. The extension lead won't last long, especially once it get chewed to ****!

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,773 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mport343 View Post
    Surely if you plug a large motor into a supply with a drop in voltage, it'll draw more current(amps) and pop the fuse or worse, burn out the cable!?
    No, if you run a motor, bulb etc etc on a lower voltage it will draw less currant.

OFF TOPIC:-

If you get some thick builder overload the mixer then yes that will draw more gg's.

Above link, look at mantanese, says max length of an exten cord 30 meters

Quote Originally Posted by manutd4life View Post
    Get some swa. The extension lead won't last long, especially once it get chewed to ****!

A used car sales man, AKA rat can chew throw armored cable