Register
    DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Default wireless file transfer

i have a netgear 834m wireless router and a netgear 311t pci card. i have 2 pcs one is wired to router and the other has the pci card. i have created a mapped drive which i can see on both pcs. and when i transfer files from the hard wired pc to wireless pc the fastest transfer speed i have got so far is 8.44mbs. the router is supposed to be upto 300mps. i was wondering is there a faster way to transfer files

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could wire both PC's to the router.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

the router is upstairs and i don't think the missus would like to see a cable running along thskirting all the way down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wired connetcions are normally faster because modern wired ports work at 100/1000 mbs. The wirless connection is more than likely not working at full speed which could be due to signal strength or quality or ionterference from other radio signals. You could test by moving the wireless pc closer to the router and see if that improves the transfer rate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by delboy13 View Post
    the fastest transfer speed i have got so far is 8.44mbs. the router is suppose4d to be upto 300mps.
    just to be clear, is that 8.44 megabits per second, or 8.44 megaBytes per second?

With wireless networks (in this class) you have to remember that any quoted figure, is actually less than half in real life terms, as the connection is not synchronous. A wireless home-network does not transmit and receive at the same time, it is doing one or the other, so a 11mbit/s link is actually only capable of around 5.5mbit/s in any direction at one time (less protocol overhead etc, which translates to around 600kbytes/s in real usable terms.

Other factors are interference from other equipment in the same or near the same band as your gear (unless you live in another galaxy these days, there is one hell of a lot of interference even in the middle of knowhere).

Wireless N standard is completely misleading also, as it does not deliver the actual speed that is claimed by the shiny packaging in the store. The reason is this. 300mbit/s is 150mbit/s either way in wi-fi terms, or about 17-18mbytes/s. That workload requires a lot of interference free channel space (which your not going to get as your sharing the bandwidth with every other kind of wi-fi router/video sender/wireless camera/doorbells/etc etc in that frequency range) and the processing power needed to shift that kind of data is way way beyond the puny little processor and minimal amount of memory this type of equipment is built with.

I build wireless networks across Ireland on a community and professional level, and I think we've just about used/abused/tested/destroyed every piece of consumer and commercial kit out there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think 'trial & error' is the key here...

Try moving the router/PC around till you hit a sweet spot, try different channels, try removing/changing the security on your router. Are your wireless card & router the same brand? This can sometimes make a surprising difference. Re-boot your router/modem on a regular basis.

Double check your PC is running cleanly (no adware/virus etc.), make sure your PC has all the latest drivers both for the motherboard & wireless card. You should bear in mind tho that wired connections should always be faster than wireless connections.

Don't do this all at once, just change one thing at a time until you get results...

Cheers...!!

PS You could also try updating the router firmware as well....
    Last edited by razzler1; 19th June, 2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Thought of something else!