Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: new v2 vu solo

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by septicsmurf View Post
    I'd like to know how the transcoding is going to be achieved on the solo2 and duo2?
    Surely 1300 mhz isn't enough processor power to do that.
    I heard a rumor that there would be some secret chip used to enable this.
    As far as i am aware only the Duo2 is capable of on the Fly transcoding and streaming due to the fact it has double the ram for a start

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

On the vu+ website under specs it says the solo2 has transcoding capabilities as well.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by septicsmurf View Post
    On the vu+ website under specs it says the solo2 has transcoding capabilities as well.
    Apologies correct it states Transcoding for mobile devices the Duo2 supports more

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

And the first retail UK price cheaper than what i first thought

?299

VU + Solo ? HD Satellite Receiver

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Hopefully we get some reviews how goodmthese are in the wild. Hopefully it won't suffer from the issues the gigablue quad has.

I can't really decide between solo2, giga quad and duo2.

I would like the extra tuners, but then price comes into it. The best compromise might be giga quad if only they can sort out all the driver issues

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you ordered one digi?
    I'll be wanting one in the new year, but only if the transcoding to mobile devices works as advertised.
    so hopefully someone will be able to test it out and confirm whether it's any good.
    If transcoding doesn't work I'll have to hold on and see if the duo2 does.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bokkie View Post
    Have you ordered one digi?
    I'll be wanting one in the new year, but only if the transcoding to mobile devices works as advertised.
    so hopefully someone will be able to test it out and confirm whether it's any good.
    If transcoding doesn't work I'll have to hold on and see if the duo2 does.

I have decided to hang fire for the release of the Duo2 hopefully it shouldn't be that much dearer hopefully around ?400, I will hang on until someone gives a review of how sensitive the tuners are going to be before i purchase.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redondo5 View Post
    Hopefully we get some reviews how goodmthese are in the wild. Hopefully it won't suffer from the issues the gigablue quad has.

I can't really decide between solo2, giga quad and duo2.

I would like the extra tuners, but then price comes into it. The best compromise might be giga quad if only they can sort out all the driver issues
    Most of the driver issues have been sorted with regard to the Quad such as recording two encrypted channels at the same time etc.

Seriously though GB have a very good track record of providing top notch driver support, which is more than can be said about Vu, who still have outstanding reported bugs going back 2 and more years on the duo alone.

I have no doubt the solo2 and duo2 will like their younger brothers be excellent boxes, but dont be fooled into thinking they can walk on water as no Vu released to date has been free from some form of issue either before or after launch.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RuberDuck View Post
    Most of the driver issues have been sorted with regard to the Quad such as recording two encrypted channels at the same time etc.

Seriously though GB have a very good track record of providing top notch driver support, which is more than can be said about Vu, who still have outstanding reported bugs going back 2 and more years on the duo alone.

I have no doubt the solo2 and duo2 will like their younger brothers be excellent boxes, but dont be fooled into thinking they can walk on water as no Vu released to date has been free from some form of issue either before or after launch.

Personally i dont think there has ever been a satellite receiver either in E1 or E2 guise that has been free from Bugs, Its the support at the end of the day from the manufacturers that counts

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digicon View Post
    Personally i dont think there has ever been a satellite receiver either in E1 or E2 guise that has been free from Bugs, Its the support at the end of the day from the manufacturers that counts
    for once i agree with you 100%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So is anyone going to take the plunge and pre order a solo 2? I was looking to upgrade my box got a 400 pound budget and now
    A massive headache ultimo, solo2, GiGaBlue HD quad or do I wait for the duo2 my heads done in.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by konatist View Post
    So is anyone going to take the plunge and pre order a solo 2? I was looking to upgrade my box got a 400 pound budget and now
    A massive headache ultimo, solo2, GiGaBlue HD quad or do I wait for the duo2 my heads done in.
    Hang Fire and wait for the Duo2 it should be an Azzkicker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just checked the vu+ facebook fanpage and this was their response to someone asking about transcoding

"Sorry for the late response. Transcoding feature is to be supported in the future with appropriate resolution for streaming to mobile devices. Thank you very much for your understanding. "

Hmmm, in the future? Does that mean it won't be capable of doing this on release, but with a future update?

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

.........what is transcoding to mobile devices ?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Streaming at a lower bitrate to mobiles, tablets, etc. At the moment you need a very fast upload speed to do this, but by transcoding on the fly you should be able to tweak it to suit Your upload. Obviously quality will drop, but on such a small screen it would hardly be noticeable.
    Think I've got that right.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast