Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default WINE is not an Emulator

For people that need to use a windows app under linux. Wine will work with most apps. The biggest problem I had with linux was some websites make you use IE6 and don't support firefox. So you can use ie4linux and wine to have ie6 work on ubuntu or any other distro you use. Their is a bug you should know about. The Wineserver will get a memory leak if you don't remove the "| Debug" from end of .ies4linux/bin/ie6 file. that fixed it but it still has some bugs and is not perfect. it has no more memory problems and closes properly after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

anyone know the licensing situation with this setup ?
    Do you need to have a windows licence to run IE6 etc on wine ? didn't they give away IE for free some years ago to prevent breaking competition laws or something ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heard about WINE and didn't try it, but when I tried Ubuntu it wasn't as quick as WinXP and it doesn't have such intuitive user interface.. Maybe I'll use some Linux distribution one day..