Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hi, I'm new to this, pls advise.

Hi everyone, this is my first time purchasing a decoder. and I know nuts about this. I just bought 5 800C, as my friend told me its the latest gadget. I just shifted into my new home, and I tried setting up the box but it can't find any channels. my brother says it's because we don't have the SH antenna, and that's why we can't tune and find channels. I was reading about the satellite receiver,
    i dont how it works and i know u all can give me a more cost sabing solution. I hope there is a solution to this, as my whole family love to watch SH channels. pls advise, thank you so much..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cost saving solution*

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Where abouts are you ?

And which provider/system are you trying to get ?

The 800C is a cable box whilst the talk of 'antenna' would imply either sat or terrestrial services although some places do use dvb-c in a transmiited form rather than down a cable.

Please clarify.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hi, thanks for helping.
    I'm in Singapore, and I wanna watch Starhub channels.
    I've even called them as I wanted to just sign up with them.
    but they say I won't be able to watch with their set up box, because my house isn't installed with their cables. i don't know what he meant by that. so I'm guess it's their antenna to get signal from the satellite.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

A cable receiver is somewhat different to a satellite receiver.

With sat the signal is broadcast and anyone with a suitable dish/receiver can pick up that signal anywhere within the signal footprint of the satellite.

Cable, on the other hand, is delivered via a cable connecting yourself to the provider. Its usally a co-ax cable but can also be pure fibre-optic. Cable operators often also operate high speed internet via the same cable. If you do not have this cable in your premises then a cable receiver is useless to you.

Starhub does appear to be primarily a cable tv/internet company. They claim to reach over 95% of properties within Singapore but if your in one of the properties that isn't cabled, and they show no interest in providing a cable to your premises, then there's little you can do except maybe move house.
    Last edited by TheCoder; 1st February, 2013 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy

oh.. there really isnt anything i can do/get to tap into other people signal? *hub wants to rob me, they quoted me a minimum of 100k to connect the cable to my home. sigh. i thought i dream of a box that can solve my problems. i guess its really just a dream.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AaronT View Post
    oh.. there really isnt anything i can do/get to tap into other people signal? *hub wants to rob me, they quoted me a minimum of 100k to connect the cable to my home. sigh. i thought i dream of a box that can solve my problems. i guess its really just a dream.
    If you know of somebody else that actually has the required cable along with fast internet, and they are willing to help you, then you could possibly set up a box to do remote streaming. You control the box remotely and set things up so it streams your selected channel over an internet connection.

Your 'server' would require at least 5Mbit/sec of dedicated upload bandwidth and you would require the same for download.

Other than that, its a matter of persuading *hub to provide you with a connection for minimum cost. How close are you to a cabled premises ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my neighbor has the cable installed. but *hub says their new policy don't allow them to "borrow", so they have to link it from the majn road. which is ard 300m away. it was a bungalow, we rebuilded into 2 semi detach, that's why only one house has the cable installed. and we only found out when everything's done. I think it's gonna be very difficult. thanks anyways bro!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi TheCoder,

My house comes only in fibre - no coaxial cable. The fibre is fed into the modem which further branches out via its ports. Port 1 for normal broadband, port 2 for TV. Port 2 can be connected via a switch which can further branch out the signal to data points (same LAN RJ45) in the house (e.g. 8 port switch can branch out the signal to 7 TV points). Every TV has to have a set top that receives the signal LAN RJ45 points (instead of the typical wall point co-ax plug).
    Problem now is I need a set top to even view free to air channels like Channel 5/8.
    Is there any set top that receive signal from RJ45 rather than the typical co-ax?
    Thanks.